Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-24-2014, 05:10 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

I like your DIY skills.
Sometimes flukes attach to eyes and look opaque .
Good plan with the prazipro
Old 12-24-2014, 01:29 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Thanks D
I hope you're right and the Prazi clears up her eye

Merry Christmas all
Old 01-02-2015, 07:21 PM
On Hiatus

X-mas eve I developed a cough that turned into a full-blown Flu/Chest virus that knocked me on my padding from X-mas morning through to Sunday night.
Because of this, I didn't notice the MI developing in the QT. We lost all 4 female Lyretails. Sorry girls.
I did a 50% WC at the end of the Prazi treatment and then proceeded to start dropping the Sg. Because of work it took me until today to get it down all the way so today marks Hypo: Day 1.
On the plus side, the rather alarming amount of ich on all 4 remaining fish has run it's course without any long term effects.

The male Lyretail still appears to be afflicted with something that I suspect is a new generation of gill flukes, although I never saw any signs of the first ones in the water column during the round of Prazi. Regardless, I'm debating the headache of running Prazi during Hypo. I already have to keep using MB7 and dosing Alk for pH, so at worst I'll need to run an air stone.

As for the female Solar, the mark on her eye is definitely not a fluke as it's too pronounced and is white. At first I thought it may be damage from netting at the LFS, but it's been there too long. I'm hoping I can identify it by going through a video frame by frame.
I'm debating a FW dip for her but will wait until I can see better what the spot is.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:53 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Sorry for your loss, Gregg. And hope you get over you flu OK.

Not sure how long you did the prazi treatment before starting the hypo. But the way I did it was run the prazi first for a couple days, then start lowering the sg. That way there is not too much time for the ich to really hit hard. The 1st round usually isn't too bad anyway. It is the 2nd round (about a week later) that is most deadly. By that time your sg should be down to 1.009 and the prazi out of the water with all the changes to bring down the sg. So then the fish should have more vigor, and be hungry and eating well. Any subsequent rounds of ich after 7 days should be pretty weak.

Also have never had to use MB7, or control alk or any other parameters during QT. My QT is very well established, and remained stable. To be honest, not sure why you care about alk or ph in a QT. Ammonia is the only thing to really watch for, and should not be a problem if you have a well established nitrogen cycle.

Anyway, that was my experience. It's been a while since I had to QT fish, but when I did it that way, always worked for me.

Your male probably has ich in the gills. That is pretty common, and is the really fast killer. Just having ich on the body is not so bad. If it was flukes, they wouldn't kill as fast, and your prazi should have taken care of them.

Last edited by Reef Pilot; 01-02-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:22 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Man you seem to have the $hittiest luck.
I hope 2015 turns around for you.
Hot rum
Old 01-02-2015, 08:24 PM
On Hiatus

Hiya Walter
The Prazi is definitely gone. I did a 50% WC, added carbon to the AC50, and then went through over 25 g of water in a 20 g tank to drop the Sg to 1.008. This is where I prefer Hypo Sg, to be sure ATO fluctuations cause no rise to 1.010

All visible MI is gone for now, so I suspect everyone's gills are clear of it
But, I don't doubt that fluke eggs have hatched and this is giving the Lyretail grief. He's yawning and flashing. There's something there, even if it's not flukes.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:26 PM
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Man you seem to have the $hittiest luck.
I hope 2015 turns around for you.
Hot rum
Thanks Bill
I definitely have 'some' kind of luck

I was expecting the ich to happen. I'm just surprised it allowed me enough time to get everyone eating and do the first Prazipro round
Old 01-02-2015, 08:36 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Hiya Walter
The Prazi is definitely gone. I did a 50% WC, added carbon to the AC50, and then went through over 25 g of water in a 20 g tank to drop the Sg to 1.008. This is where I prefer Hypo Sg, to be sure ATO fluctuations cause no rise to 1.010

All visible MI is gone for now, so I suspect everyone's gills are clear of it
But, I don't doubt that fluke eggs have hatched and this is giving the Lyretail grief. He's yawning and flashing. There's something there, even if it's not flukes.
I've had MI before with lots of agitation, flashing and scratching of the gill covers. It was not visible on the body, but obviously very present in the gills. A clue is fast breathing. I know butterflys are very prone to this, incl the pearlscales. But if you let it run its course (and the fish survive), the lower sg should take care of it. It is a fast killer, though, when it is in the gills, so hope your male makes it through.

You could also do a 2nd round of prazi while in full hypo. I did that before, too, with a tang, when I still saw some stringy poop. It worked, and the tang came through strong and healthy. This is my Tomini that I got early last year from J&L. It was nearly dead (very thin and weak) when I brought it home (wouldn't have otherwise bought it, but it was the only one they had). It is now a very healthy, happy, and good looking fish...
Old 01-03-2015, 03:06 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

Greg, could you take a macro pic of the solar? You could blow that up and see the white whatever, better.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:09 AM
On Hiatus

I can't take a macro Dietmar 'cause she moves too much, but I'll try to see what is going on tomorrow with a video - frame by frame