Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-22-2003, 02:06 PM

enzo54321 is on a distinguished road
Default ATTENTION Durso standpipe wanted!

Help, Help, Please Help.

I installed my new tank not to long ago and as soon as I turned on my pump all hell broke loose, gurgling, burping, flushing, splahing was occuring in the sump and inside the standpipe, I tryed everything the u-shape pipe, submerging the pipe 2" deep, not submerging, making more holes on the Durso endcap, making them bigger I tryed for hours, days, nights I'm exausted. Some people say it's the standpipe that is too big others say it's the drain line others say I should add a valve on the return line but I'm scared with that option because of the potential flooding.
Can I get the same overall quietness without using a valve at the end of my drain line?

Please help!

Note: Durso Standpipe is 1"1/2 and a 1"1/4 bulkhead and than back to a 1"1/4 flex tube drain line under the tank to the sump bulkhead.
1 Mag Drive 12 return pump and circulation
Old 01-22-2003, 03:57 PM

enzo54321 is on a distinguished road

What if I use a 1" drain line has opposed to a 1"1/4 could that solve all the problems?
1 Mag Drive 12 return pump and circulation
Old 01-22-2003, 04:41 PM

TANGOMAN is on a distinguished road

I shouldn't laugh but sorry, I am. I've been there. That's why. I recently installed a bushing in the "end of the line" in the pipe in the sump. It's almost as risky as a valve but there is a smooth taper between sizes.I figured there's an equal if not greater chance of a blockage prior to it. It helped a bit. Is your water inlet submeged ? Hard to explain...Is water entering the pipe below the water surface area ? It sounds like there's a problem obtaining the correct "vacuum" required. :?
Something I've modified might be worth a try. Instead of drilling different size holes in the "dry portion", I installed a reducer bushing there and extended 1/2" pvc further way from the standpipe. I then installed a nylon 1/4 compression/1/4" pipe thread adaptor into the extension. An airline pushed in a drilled end cap will work also. You can then adjust the "vacuum" by restrictig the airline which will in turn raise/lower the water level in the overflow area. This will also increase the time frame for cleaning salt creep which will eventually decrease the size of the hole originally drilled.
Who knew there were so many "trades" involved just for fish eh ? "Surround-sound" is still another option :?