Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 04-14-2016, 03:11 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough
Default Salifert Potassium test kit review

I've used all sorts of potassium test kits, and they are pretty much all the same - difficult to read. I've used Zeovit, Fauna Marin, and Elos. At best, I figured I could cipher out a "reasonable guess".

This morning I had the great pleasure of trying out the Salifert Potassium kit. YES!!! Now this is a test that I can have confidence in! It does take quite a few steps, and you have to pay attention to which syringe for this and that, and even a 12-24 hour test vial soak in vinegar after each test. I think most people that care to test potassium are more advanced reefers with SPS dominant systems, and can deal with the testing procedure.

That said, I did the testing procedure on my tank 3 times, and got the exact same reading - 420 ppm. It is a titration kit where you count drop-wise until you see a color change, and it's a dramatic color change from white to yellowish to baby blue. It's obvious when it goes to baby blue.

So far I've only used it 3 times, but I'm quite happy with it. I'm going to do a Triton test on my tank soon, and I will be comparing the results to the Salifert kit then.

Who else loves this kit??

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:23 PM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road

This is why so many people were waiting it's the only kit that has any consistency and is not that hard to figure out.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:38 PM
Vendor

Reef Supplies is on a distinguished road

We love them as well. Like you said, back to back results are spot on and the colour change is very obvious.

Ray

http://www.reefsupplies.ca
Old 04-15-2016, 01:42 AM

OCEANVIEW ENTERPRISE is on a distinguished road

Hello Myka

As the official Canadian dealer of SAlifert I can tell you that this is a really great product. It is high in demand only because it does what it says. It tests potassium clearly.

We need this message passed to all shops across the country. Thank you for your opinion.