Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-21-2003, 03:39 PM

TANGOMAN is on a distinguished road
Default Black Ick, it's back...

Some of you may recall an outbreak I had with this on a Yellow Tang in quarantine a while back. Freshwater dip, re-start quarantine and all's been well.
For the past week my Lemon Peel Angel has been doin' the "itchy-scratchy". Last night I noticed a few (two) black spots on the gill cover area. Different tank. Also quarantined (clean tank). Same supplier.
I have never seen this ich over the years and now two in a row .

I'd value some opinions on how to go about solving this. The tankmates are a Lionfish and a Neon Damsel. The Lionfish screws-up my favored option of getting a pair of Cleaner Shrimp in there and going with the "natural solution". The Damsel has done the "twitch" only a couple of times in the past week that I have seen. Obviously an irritation there as well. Impossible to see, given its color. The Lionfish appears to be fine. I'm really not keen on tearing the tank down to catch them. Too early to freak out. Treating the tank is not an option and it would have to go fishless for a min. of six weeks as well...?

Tell me please if ya' agree with this approach; "Sit tight" for 3,4 or 5 days a see if their immunity is strong enough to overcome. If not, capture the Lionfish,(he'd be the easiest one to catch). Put him in a holding tank and take the Cleaner Shrimp from the other tank and put 'em in there to do their thing...? Remove the Shrimp after a few weeks, maybe three, and then remove Shrimp and re-introduce the Lionfish.
Remember my other post referring to my tanks as "parasitic timebombs" during the re-stocking process...? Kaboom