Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 11-22-2012, 01:44 AM

ickmagnet is on a distinguished road

Trust me, I'm not planning on adding new fish for a long long time. I was thinking of adding peppermint shrimp to eat off the aiptasia. is this a no no as well?

I have not added a new fish to my tank in over 2 years. The only thing I can think of is that about a month ago, my clown fish jumped out of the tank and lucky for it, I happened to be in the area. I was able to get him into the tank again alive. His eye began to bulge after a few days so maybe this is what caused it?

That is the only thing I can think of
Old 11-22-2012, 01:47 AM

howdy20012002 is on a distinguished road

if you added coral within the last month then it could have come on that in a dormant stage and then hatched in your tank.
that is very odd because there is no way that marine velvet would have been in your tank for 2 years without wiping it out.
Marine Velvet is horrible and brutally efficient at wiping out complete tanks in a very very short period of time.
other than that, I have no explaination.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:35 AM

Nope, no new coral either. It really doesn;t make sense. The first to go was my second jumper (foxface). I found him the next day all dried up on the floor. Then it was my powder blue. Then the first jumper (clown). Then my purple tang and now my tomato clown. I've given up trying to catch the hippo tang. He's looking like a goner too and there is no use. It is just crazy how fast it happens. One day they are eating and the next day they are dead.

It could only have been from the clown that originally jumped out. His eye bulged and likely infected the rest of the tank. He was the only guy that was introduced back into the tank after the fall. I can't even remember the last time I bought a fish.

The more I think about it, the more I may be leaning towards getting out of the hobby. It is difficult to see all your fish go like this.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:20 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

If you did not add anything for months then it is not marine velvet.

However it could be some bacterial infection.

Discus plague is caused by a nasty bacteria that can be present on some fish and kill any new fish coming in contact with it that are not immune to it.

If we think about the flesh eating bacteria, it is present in our environment yet for no apparent reason it can start eating people flesh.

Maybe when you put your clownfish back into your tank it cought some bacterial infection and that spreaded to other fish?

I cannot be marine velvet if you did not add anything to your tank.

Does not make sense in deed.

When my discus cought the discus plague, they were covered with a white powdery looking film. Some were floating on the side half dead. I had to treat them with potassium permaganate baths each day for 4 hours at a very critical dosage and they all survived, but I was very tired by the end of that week. All this for a bacterial infection that became very potent very fast.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:56 PM

Don't know what it was but I was never able to catch my green wrasse. He hides into the sand and makes it difficult to even find him. Anyways, he is swimming around with no apparent symptoms. The hippo tang is in the hospital tank and he looks fine as well.

Everything else is dead. Just like that. Craziness. That's a real lonely 180g.

Maybe it was a case of out of control ick. Every time I have seen ick, it has been a bunch of pin prick type marks. Also, with ick, it took a while before the fish would pass away, giving you enough time to take it out and treat it. With this, the fish was swimming around and eating one day but dead the next.