Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Nano Tank Talk

Old 07-25-2008, 09:47 PM

superduperwesman is on a distinguished road

It was only $50? See I was confused I thought just the controller was $50 and I couldn't see how much the fan and such was. I wonder how much shipping is.

But would the glass on the 2.5 be able to handle it hanging off the back? And the temp is only that hot on really hot days and with no fan.

I think I have a few different fans and 6v and 9v plugs so I might give the computer fan a try. Eventually I'd like to bring it to work (which has ac) but not till I get my own office which could be a little while ahah
Old 07-25-2008, 10:05 PM

spreerider is on a distinguished road

check out silenx fans on NCIX.com they are very quiet i have used many of them in near silent computers that i build. For their size and air movement they are the quietest fans available.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:13 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

The glass could handle it but it would be difficult to drill such thin glass, but I could do it
The nice thing about the chiller is that it simplifies things, using it would allow you to completely seal off the tank and eliminate the need for an ATO, which no matter what will just be an eyesore on such a small tank. Same with running fans, where would they go??

However before you get too carried away $50 only covers the actual chiller unit, ideally you would still want a controller as well to efficiently control your temp.

Last edited by sphelps; 07-25-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:24 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
The glass could handle it but it would be difficult to drill such thin glass, but I could do it
The nice thing about the chiller is that it simplifies things, using it would allow you to completely seal off the tank and eliminate the need for an ATO, which no matter what will just be an eyesore on such a small tank. Same with running fans, where would they go??

However before you get too carried away $50 only covers the actual chiller unit, ideally you would still want a controller as well to efficiently control your temp.
Unfortunately, that unit is actually around $135 and the controller is $50. Marine Depot wasn't listing the price on the page you linked to...so it seemed cheap. OA sells it...for $180 combined plus tax.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:24 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Yeah my bad. $50 did seem really cheap which expalins why I pushed this idea. Still $180 controlled isn't too bad. Come on Wes, you big engineer, splurge a little
Old 07-31-2008, 08:42 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

drip it in.
some people are afraid of the simple stuff, but I have kept nanos ( I have a 5 gallon running for 3 months now with a diy drip) successfully with this system and its not that hard to dial it in.

if you wanna spend 200 bucks, you will have something nice and easy, if you wanna save some $ and put in a very little legwork, try the drip.

it will cost you 10 bucks MAX to build, and that isn't much to take ac hance on something you might find works excellent.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:56 PM

will the glass top evap is hardly a concern and with a small desk fan behind it it stays cool so i think thats how I'll leave it for now. I don't think I'll even bother with an ATO even at the office I don't think enough will evap over the weekend.

How do people fell about the rock work it's a little tight to the glass in a few spots but I ordered a nimble nano magnet today
Old 08-14-2008, 05:06 AM

yeah put some corals in this week
Old 08-17-2008, 03:12 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduperwesman View Post
yeah put some corals in this week
Pics!!

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 08-18-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
Pics!!
I'll try to post some tonight