Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 11-23-2016, 01:30 AM

fraz04 is on a distinguished road
Default 3 Channel LED light settings!!

Hello Hello! Looking for a little advice and help on this light i have. I bought a used setup recently and it came with this 3 channel LED light. As far as i can tell ch#1 is white (with a few colours), ch#2 is blue, and ch#3 is moon lights. Each channel goes from 0-100%. What i need to know is what % i should have each channel? It looks like the previous owner had it set up 25% white, 50% blue and 50% moon light. its been awhile since i had a tank and the LED's are new to me. I have yet to set up the tank but plan on having soft corals and fish of course. thanks in advance!
Old 11-23-2016, 02:47 AM

SpongeAl is on a distinguished road

Basically it is a combination of what you like the look of and what doesn't bleach your corals lol.

Typically you find a balance of blue to white you like, and slowly ramp up the brightness till your coral bleach then turn it back down a bit lol.

Generally speaking a 70/30 ratio of white to blue might be a good starting point, increase the blue for more florescence, increase the white to reduce a monochrome Windex look.

The moon light I don't know, depends what colour it is, you'll just have to try it, usually they aren't bright enough to make a visible difference with the main lights though. If it is noticeably bright, then again just adjust it to taste to start with.

Even when LEDs are dimmed, they are full power in bursts, that is why they bleach coral so easy so be careful. If possible, it might work better to leave the LEDs at as close to full power as possible, then adjust brightness by moving the fixture up and down.

All in all, the white channel is the main sorta wide spectrum light that will give you the growth, while the blue is added for looks for the most part.

Assuming the moonlight is white and of equal strength, the previous owner was running a 60/40 white/blue ratio which should give a result somewhere in the 14K to 20K spectrum, every light is a little different.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:09 AM

fraz04 is on a distinguished road

ok thank you for the info. i wasnt to sure how the LED lights worked but now i'm understanding a little more about them. thanks again.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:42 AM

e46er is on a distinguished road

My evergrows slowly ramp up throughout the day peaking at 55w/60blue
It took a while to get there tho I started st I think 40/40 and corals started to bleach pretty quickly so I set them at like 20/20 and went up 5%every couple weeks

Owner of Mountain Ridge Heating and Gas
Class A gas fitter, HVAC