Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 03-17-2008, 09:18 PM

nanoreefer is on a distinguished road
Default help trigger & eel death?

ok this a long one but, for the last three months ive had a 3" V lion and 2.5" niger trigger in a 10g QT tank wile ive been working on there 75g tank(lots of problems with it!)two weeks ago i added a small zebra eel and they were all eating and doing well, on tuesday i got my new aqua safe aquarium RODI untit and hooked it up then i did a WC wendsday moreing useing the RODI water the SG on my hydrometer read about 1.027 or so but it has gone higher than that many times so i wasent worried, i whent out on wendsday and bought some macro and red algea for a seahorses tank i was working on and put it in the 10g, i was planning on moveing the fish from the 10g in the next few days and useing the astablished 10g for the SHs wile i finish there tank, thursday the eel and lion woudent eat trgger did, but i figured they woudent sence i added the algea and they were getting used to it, friday afternoon the trigger was dead never looked sick or anything just dead, the eel dident look to good listless and just sitting half out of the rocks, i did 3g WC and the eel looked better but was dead at 10PM, the lion seemed fine and is still ok but dident eat any food until yesterday i have n=never tested the water before but iam sure it has been worse yet the trigger and lion were always fine and the eel ate well dos anyone have any ideas what might have hapened the only thing i can think of is there was some disease on the algea or the RODI water sence there the only things i changed on the tank? but now it has realy shaken me up sence most of my LR was in there and now i dont whant to use it for the SHs if is contaminated or diseased

sorry for the long post i just whanted to list everything and try and get an idea what i did wrong, aside from the 3 fish in a 10g thing i know that
Old 03-17-2008, 10:10 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry but you had a Lion and a trigger in a 10G then added an eel to the same 10G? For 3 Months?

J
Old 03-17-2008, 10:18 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McK View Post
I'm sorry but you had a Lion and a trigger in a 10G then added an eel to the same 10G? For 3 Months?

J
Well, they had lots of rock to swim around

sorry, I think the root of the problem is tank size. Even if something was funny in the water, having only 10g of water, minus any space the rock took up, really didn't give any buffer for errors.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:41 PM

justinl is on a distinguished road

and to add to the above: you want to try sea horses of all things? i do hope this is a joke post.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:05 AM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

How much of a wc did you do?
what kind of macro did you add?
1.027 is alittle high and if you didn't top off water after 2 days it would probally run 1.030. It could be a number of different variations..... maybe the trigger and eel swam into the scorpion, maybe the macro turned asexual, maybe the salinity spiked without listing parameters who knows,
maybe they weren't happy in a small tank and with a tank that size things can go wrong fast!!

Hydrometers are not the most reliable and can go out of calibration fast so if it was at 1.027 maybe it was at 1.032 who knows...

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 03-18-2008, 01:29 AM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

pbitawa
Old 03-18-2008, 02:06 AM

Reefhawk1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Reefhawk1

Try using a larger quarantine tank for that many fish. Use a refractometer for more precise results on SG.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:08 AM

hawk is on a distinguished road

10g is way too small for those fish. Did you have any additional filtration besides the rock? I'm guessing an ammonia spike after you added the eel.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:35 AM

Marlin65 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
How much of a wc did you do?

Hydrometers are not the most reliable and can go out of calibration fast so if it was at 1.027 maybe it was at 1.032 who knows...
Times two
1.027 is way to high especially with a hydrometer they are know to run on the low side you might of been at 1.040 for all you know, but you have enough other things wrong as well.
Drop the salinity down to 1.020 that way if you have a bad reading you will still be in range.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:40 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

I got a good Refractometer from ebay for $45 Way more accurate than Hydrometer

Umm, a tank or 5