Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 01-29-2012, 06:12 AM

Nano is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderjumper View Post
Most of us using Radions are using multiples, so something with a connecting bar to join the lights could be added? OR a piece of channel that the lights could slide in for adjusting the coverage?
Definitely,very easy to do. But let's put light mount questions directed at this in Greg's or my build thread so we don't stray away from the OP. Lol. But you could definitely do a double version of this with a bar from one end to the other and mount as many as you like. I'm glad everyones digging it Haha
Old 01-29-2012, 04:05 PM

Blue Ram is on a distinguished road

So after reading all the replies so far,

DIY is out of the question - I am female with limited techie skills which is why I am looking for "simplicity and function"

The reason I'd rather not invest in bulbs and a new ballast for the Infiniti is because of the electricity costs to run it. I will put it up for sale if I invest in LEDs

Not interested in a canopy - would rather be able to hang it

I'm pleased to see a consensus of two fixtures - makes the choice a little easier. Given that I'm not running a super high end tank (ie SPS heavy) - which of the two fixtures would you suggest? I keep quite a large variety of livestock - clams, anemones, lots of softies, duncans and SPS.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:47 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Well just keep in mind with the LEDs is you're not going to save a ton, realistically you'll be saving 400W max and that's if you downgrade. 400W is about $100 per year for electricity on a typical light schedule. The bulbs will save you more but it'll take a few years to pay off the investment.

Next consider effect, the tank will be dimmer and the effect you get from your T5s will be lost. Essentially two Radions will be similar to to just the two halides running in terms of appearance although the LEDs will offer a more actinic feel not all colors will be improved.

Between the radions and the AIs I think the AI sols are a better bang for the buck. While a single radion tends to be compared to 2 AI sols in terms of wattage keep in mind a good chunk of the radion wattage is given to green and red LEDs which will run very low if at all. The sol blues have a good ratio of what's actually needed and would be a better choice over the sol white. The AIs also come with a mounting rack and hanging kit when purchased as a set.

Vertex is also nice and worth considering, better looking than the two above options as well.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Reds and greens are in wave lengths that do not promote photosynthesis in the symbiotic algae cells living in our corals. They are almost purely for aesthetics.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:56 PM

Nano is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ram View Post

DIY is out of the question - I am female with limited techie skills which is why I am looking for "simplicity and function"

The reason I'd rather not invest in bulbs and a new ballast for the Infiniti is because of the electricity costs to run it. I will put it up for sale if I invest in LEDs

I'm pleased to see a consensus of two fixtures - makes the choice a little easier. Given that I'm not running a super high end tank (ie SPS heavy) - which of the two fixtures would you suggest? I keep quite a large variety of livestock - clams, anemones, lots of softies, duncans and SPS.
You should contact Martin at modularled.ca one of our site sponsors here. He has DIY leds that basically just snap together, and he sells complete fixtures like ai sol and radion as well. He's very helpful it would be worth shooting him an email.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:12 PM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

If you really want to save money, I am sure that Martin @ Modular could or would build a DIY Led setup for you & if he is to busy I would be willing to help out there to. This hobby can be very expensive so if I can help save someone some bucks & get into what they want I try my best to help out.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 01-30-2012, 02:00 PM

MMAX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ram View Post

You don't need "techie" skills with Martin's DIY stuff. Very easy to do, it's all plug and play.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:16 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAX View Post
You don't need "techie" skills with Martin's DIY stuff. Very easy to do, it's all plug and play.
Unless you do a "Grizz" build. Then you need mad skills
Old 01-30-2012, 04:51 PM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
Unless you do a "Grizz" build. Then you need mad skills
or just be a little MAD

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 01-30-2012, 05:20 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAX View Post
Some of us must have different definitions of plug and play. Modular LEDs are no different than other DIY leds besides not requiring soldering although there are also non-soldering options available for other LED boards as well. Regardless the modular LEDs still have to be mounted to an appropriately sized heat sink which has to be cooled with fans and mounted some how above your tank. The LEDs then have to be connected in series appropriately and connected to multiple drivers (ideally with a soldered connection) which also have to be mounted somewhere. Then drivers may or may not need to be tuned to the correct current, either way some basic knowledge about the subject is needed. Then you have to configure the 0-10V or PWM dimming signal to some kind of controller which isn't always that easy for even technical minded people. I don't know about you but I don't see how this falls under plug and play...

Last edited by sphelps; 01-30-2012 at 05:25 PM.