Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 01-03-2015, 12:08 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
The LumenMax are about as good a reflector as you can get as far as spread goes, so that's a really good option for the single bulb setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
I use both the LumenArc 3 and the LumenBright 3 in 4' wide tanks. I prefer the LumenArc 3 as the spread is better.
After reading Tim's reply, I realize I mentioned the wrong name. I must correct myself - I meant to refer to the LumenArc reflectors, not the LumenMax. LumenArc are about as good a reflector as you can get as far as spread goes, so that's a really good option for the single bulb setup.

Fwiw though, even without the best spread, you may still be happy as not even species needs really high light.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:10 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

My 180 had 2 lumenarc, 1 lumenmax, didn't notice any real difference.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:38 AM

Trevor W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2o2 View Post
JLs can still order u those Hamiltons as Jeff just brought the Bimini 150 w DE in for me for my nano that I am building . Its says backorder so they don't carry the inventory
Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
If what they say is true about the phoenix bulbs I wouldn't be making any long term decisions based on them. I quite like my LumenMax 3s which I have been using for several years but lately I've been wishing I had 2s so that I could try out Radium bulbs.
Yea I was really leaning towards mogul based reflectors so that I could try a wider variety of bulbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
Here is an article on some reflectors.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/1/review

I use both the LumenArc 3 and the LumenBright 3 in 4' wide tanks. I prefer the LumenArc 3 as the spread is better. If I was doing a 3' x 2' tank I would do a 400 se in a LumenArc 3 with a couple of T5HO or LED strips at 24" above tank.

The ReefBrite Hybrid looks interesting as well but I don't think you would get enough spread for a 36" long tank with a single one. I think 2 x 250w would work well in that tank but it depends on your budget and monthly power bill etc.

Cheers,
Tim
Thanks for the link. I have seen lots about the LumenArc and LumenBright reflectors but have yet to find somewhere that supplies them in Canada.

The Reefbrite hybrids are really nice fixtures!
Old 01-03-2015, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
[/i]Fwiw though, even without the best spread, you may still be happy as not even species needs really high light.
Yea I have seen a few tanks where they only used one halide and although it wasn't extremely dark on the edges it gave the aquascape a really appealing look. So I had it in my head to try it out but I didn,t want it to be really dark and have a really harsh spotlight effect just a more subtle fade if that makes sense.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:52 AM

Well this overdrawn thread can now be laid to rest!

I got a good deal on a used 36" Current USA Outer Orbit with 2x 250W DE Halides and 4x 39W T5. Fixture is still in great shape and was reasonably priced.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:16 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor W View Post
Well this overdrawn thread can now be laid to rest!

I got a good deal on a used 36" Current USA Outer Orbit with 2x 250W DE Halides and 4x 39W T5. Fixture is still in great shape and was reasonably priced.
Find some Phoenix 14k bulbs and stock up!!