Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-16-2013, 04:14 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road
Talking Guess what! UPGRADE TIME

Alright so its about time I upgrade my tank

I am in no rush and I am going to do things slowly (I hope ) and very well planned. I have some limitations that I have to abide by:

1. Space: I cant have a biggy biggy tank
2. Budget: I am constrained by this valuable parameter but oh well, things should be able to be done
3. Lighting: Since I have a 4bulb T5HO light from odyssea (hence not individual reflector), I have to use it

SO!

Tank size:

I have been thinking to have a nice foot print so that I can keep some nice fishes this time instead of just concentrating on corals (where are the tang police?! I am planning on keeping a tang!) like anthias and a tini tiny tang (tomini perhaps). Since I dont have large space and I want to use my existing light, I have chosen a decent footprint:

40" x 15" x 14"

The legs of the light can be extended up to like 42" or something so I chose 40". I limited the width and height to 15" and 14" since my light, not being of individual reflectors, has some limitation and I dont like high tanks.

Sump:

Time to get things the right way using sump! This is where I need to do a lot of studying since sumps have always intimidated me! I am going to have a refugium, a skimmer chamber and a return chamber. I really don't want to run any reactor right now so I was thinking of putting a smaller chamber between skimmer and refuge for medias like carbon and phosguard. Refugium light is going to be the same light that I am already using for my refuge mod; a coralife mini.

Now I am a bit confused about skimmer over here. I already have a remora which can hold upto 70 gallon. Since I am going to incorporate sump, I am thinking whether I should use the existing remora in the skimmer area (maybe invest in a skimmer later since I don't want to take a big hit right now). Like I said, I want to use as many things as possible which I already have.

Aquascaping:

This is where I will try to be creative. One rule of thumb: NO DRY ROCK! I am a big believer in live rock. Till now, I have planned to make something like U shaped aquascape with flat rocks at the top.

Content:
I am thinking about leaning towards mixed reef for this tank also since I like to keep things diverse Very little softies: going to stick to rics and zoas only. LPS that I already have other than the torch since it takes away lots of good places. SPS is going to be mostly montis, birdnests and few "easy to keep" acros which would be compatible with my lighting.

Maintenance:
Now this is where I am going to concentrate most. My current tank is a bit on the heavy maintenance side (dosing and cleaning the glass every other day) so it is not the most "being away" friendly type tank. Hence, for this one, I am going to make sure that I only have to clean skimmer, change water biweekly maybe and feed! And big maintenance (filling up dosing if needed and things like that) maybe once a month.

So this is my whole scenario for now. As always, suggestions, comments and flaming are welcome

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 03-16-2013, 04:47 AM

Mike-fish is on a distinguished road

Your in deep now looking forward to this one
Old 03-16-2013, 05:15 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Old 03-16-2013, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-fish View Post
Your in deep now looking forward to this one
Actually, he's only going 14" tall. Pretty shallow.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Pretty shallow.
Pretty shallow? :O Ok I need to get some more inches off to make it "really shallow"

Anyway Kien since you are one of the few ones who are still surviving with the T5s, I have a question for you

Will the 4 bulb 36" not individual reflector be enough for this footprint? My current tank is having like sweet point with things growing crazy. I am just increasing the height by 2" and width by 3". Also though about not using the legs and resting the fixture directly above the tank to cut down the 3" height.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:36 AM

If you are having great success with the light now, I don't think another 2" up is going to make a huge difference. I personally wouldn't rest it right on the tank as you'll likely get a lot of salt creep on it ultimately dimming the light as a result. Presumably your new rock work will be different so that is going to play a role in how much light your various corals will get as well.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
If you are having great success with the light now, I don't think another 2" up is going to make a huge difference. I personally wouldn't rest it right on the tank as you'll likely get a lot of salt creep on it ultimately dimming the light as a result. Presumably your new rock work will be different so that is going to play a role in how much light your various corals will get as well.
Thanks for the input. I guess I will then keep the light on legs.

Rock work is going to be more or less in the same style but a bit creative. Rocks at the back side will be higher and then gradually slope down to the two sides separately. Time for some cleaner looks than just cramping it.

I am taking this one as inspiration (the rockwork):

Old 03-16-2013, 06:38 AM

Goatman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Thanks for the input. I guess I will then keep the light on legs.

Rock work is going to be more or less in the same style but a bit creative. Rocks at the back side will be higher and then gradually slope down to the two sides separately. Time for some cleaner looks than just cramping it.

I am taking this one as inspiration (the rockwork):

Very hard to re=create this in a tank that is not very wide....your going to have to be awfully creative with the rock work. Good luck with the upgrade your little tank is quite beautiful...so this one should be as well.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatman View Post
Very hard to re=create this in a tank that is not very wide....your going to have to be awfully creative with the rock work. Good luck with the upgrade your little tank is quite beautiful...so this one should be as well.
Yap not possible to recreate that one since its very wide (like you said) but I am hoping to pull something similar to that concept.

Thanks for the appreciation Will try my best.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:45 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Awesome. Alway love a upgrade. In the middle of mine right now

A couple thoughts for you though.

You said no dry rock. While its your choice I like dry rock for the reason of no pest, hitch hikers. It's also cheaper. You can use some current live rock to seed it

Sump design. Really do your homework. I've built all my sumps and each time, find another thing I rather have .
I always have all chambers (2/3) to fill with crush for more bio filter. Have good flow through it
I do run a reactor but its full of hydroton but could have filled it with crush also
I run carbon passively in a media bag

Take this into consideration.
I run a prodibio tank. No gfo, passive carbon, 7 fish with 35 sps
My tank get gravel and rock cleaned weekly a WC to follow. Glass gets cleaned every week and half or so. So to speak I am 100% sold on prodibio

As for fish you said anthias. I keep them and in my experience and discution with others found that they do better in high flow

Looking forward to a build thread