Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-20-2014, 05:52 PM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road
Default Humidity

Hey wondering how people deal with humidity of big tanks that are upstairs. Ive got a 125 gallon set up and wow the humidity in the winter is out of control got a de humidifier but not sure if its keeping up. Still got lots of water around the windows

What do other people do?
Old 02-20-2014, 05:57 PM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

Glass tops, hrv in the house, my tank has a canopy on the display with a exhaust fan vented outside ran off a humidistat. I also have a cover on my sump.

360 Reef Tank
Old 02-20-2014, 05:57 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdillman View Post
Hey wondering how people deal with humidity of big tanks that are upstairs. Ive got a 125 gallon set up and wow the humidity in the winter is out of control got a de humidifier but not sure if its keeping up. Still got lots of water around the windows

What do other people do?
Google HRV (Heat Recovery Ventilator). Lots of people (myself included), use these to take out stale humid air and to bring in fresh air from outside without losing too much heat. Dehumidification isn't it's purpose but is a nice side effect :-)
Old 02-20-2014, 05:59 PM

Thumbs up

Ok thanks I'll look that up ill have to do somthing for sure next year, in be summer it isn't bad cause the central AC but I'm constantly wiping the windows and my little de humidifier isn't keeping up
Old 02-20-2014, 09:59 PM

bigmac is on a distinguished road

A lot of the condensation you may experience on the windows is caused by not only the indoor humidity from the tanks; but it also has to do with your humidifier on your furnace. A lot of people don't realize that when the temperature dips outside you are supposed to be adjusting your humidifier downwards as well. Interior humidity will always form as condensation on the coldest surface of your house when it's cold outside; which will always be the windows. It also doesn't help that most builders don't educate their clients about better glass options (Lowe and triple pane). Changing your windows to triple pane and energy efficient Lowe (preferably solar control) will make a huge difference.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:43 PM

Ill double check but I'm pretty sure I don't have a humidifier on my furnace unless it's built in and not on the side like a normal one would be
Old 02-20-2014, 11:29 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

I put in a HRV. Nice thing about it was easy sell to the wife since could honestly say improved overall air quality.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:35 PM

reefermadness is on a distinguished road

My HRV runs 24/7. I just have it on the low setting and humidity is not a problem.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:36 AM

Baldy is on a distinguished road

i have a 75g in our 860 sq/ft house. its not a big tank, but combined with a small house, makes for a big humidity change. i plastic my windows off in winter which helps keep the ice off of them, and as for the humidity, weve gotten used to it. its to the point now when i stay at someone elses house for any length of time my skin dries out. bonus is youll never have to buy a humidifier!

75g reef w/ 20g sump, 100lbs LR, Tunze 9006 skimmer, 3 part dosing, DIY 66 LED fixture, Reefleeper Lite
LED build here: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/29498...h-mount-build/
Old 02-21-2014, 07:25 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

With a designated tank room I now exhaust humid air outside while drawing cold fresh air inside. Prior to this we used to run a dehumidifier but it was adding around $20 a month to our electricity bill.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour