Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 10-13-2008, 06:19 AM

X-Treme is on a distinguished road

I had a problem with my Telus speed too a while back, so I phoned and complained. They walked me through a speed test and it came back LOW, so he pushed a few buttons on his computer at his end and whala.....WAY faster for me after that.

Phone and complain!!!!

38 Gallon Custom Starphire, Remora Pro, 2 Seio 820's, 24" Giesemann Infiniti 1x250W MH + 4x24W T5, 60lbs Live Rock.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:56 AM

whiteice669 is on a distinguished road

what is the speed test ? where can I try it ?
aga 180g dual overflow 77g sump, mak 4 return, dart pump for closed loop 3 250w se 15,000k mh, 4 80w t5 250 vertex skimmer,3l vertex zeo reactor, marine tech cal reactor.regal,powder brown and yellow tangs, chromis eyelash blennie blue mandran, slowly filling with SPS
Old 10-13-2008, 07:46 AM

Moogled is on a distinguished road

FYI, speed test also depends on your location and web traffic. It may be marginally slower than what it shows.

My suggestion is to switch to Shaw. Telus continues to get customers due to ignorance that Shaw is a better ISP and provides way faster speeds. With lines nowadays, you don't need to worry about unstable Cable connections as opposed to half a decade ago where a dedicated DSL line was a "bit" slower but far more stable.

For those interested, run a speedtest @ www.speedtest.net
Old 10-13-2008, 11:40 AM

WhoPoopWrasse is on a distinguished road

wow! cool little test site!
I got 6691 download and 787 upload

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish and you get rid of him all weekend

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/sho...user=4356&sl=w
Old 10-13-2008, 03:40 PM

AndyL is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to AndyL

The "phone and complain" doesn't always work; I went round and round in circles with them when I was having speed complaints... They kept claiming it was my home network limiting bandwidth (somehow my 802.11b router was the cause for 500k/s speeds - even if it was removed and my computer was plugged directly into the modem) had techs out on at least 2 dozen occasions to figure it out; swapped modems a dozen times. I'm pretty sure it was the hardware in the neighbourhood; but they'd never admit it (other than a few techs out at the box cursing and swearing about old junk).

On the other hand, my neighbour was with shaw at the time, we just bounced back and forth off eachothers wireless networks continually - his connection came and went, mine was rock steady and slow as sin...
By reading, replying to, commenting about, or in any way accessing the material in this post; including but not limited to storing in a database, retrieving from a database, viewing in a web browser, including it in or making a reference to it in a legal document, or accidentally glancing at it you agree to send me $100.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:08 PM

Floop70 is on a distinguished road

Here's the site Telus will want you to go to for a speed test. Mine's slow a molasses too, but I'm stuck in a 3 year contract. Under a year to go, then I'm switching to Shaw. There's no way I'll ever trap myself into another contract with any ISP.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:58 PM

bullit67 is on a distinguished road

Just did a speed test on my ISP I am on SHAW just switched from Telus about 2 months ago and will never look back
Old 10-13-2008, 05:15 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

I just called, and apparently the problem is that my household has a limited bandwidth, and each Telus TV box takes up some of that, as well as the internet. If all three are running, it leaves little for the internet.

I turned off one of the Telus TV boxes and did a speed test again, which came out at 3460 kbps. Much better.

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 10-13-2008, 05:30 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

getting good numbers with Shaw now

But not always, have seen drop to a quarter or less of above.

Last edited by mark; 10-13-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:57 AM

midgetwaiter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Iron_Chef View Post
I just called, and apparently the problem is that my household has a limited bandwidth, and each Telus TV box takes up some of that, as well as the internet. If all three are running, it leaves little for the internet.

I turned off one of the Telus TV boxes and did a speed test again, which came out at 3460 kbps. Much better.
I bet they forgot to mention that when they sold you the TV boxes didn't they?

If you have a fairly recent router you should be able to setup a priority scheme for your PC but it would probably be tough to get the right balance so you don't screw up the TV too bad.