Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 07-09-2008, 12:24 AM

WhoPoopWrasse is on a distinguished road

Here's something I got from another forum concerning freezing:

A large number of people are under the impression that freezing the fish is humane. It isn't. What happens first is that the fish can't properly take in oxygen. We might liken that to suffocation. As the temperature drops, the gills begin to freeze up (we might liken that to our lungs freezing). So as the fish gasps for air it cannot get, it dies in a cold, dark place. This is definitely not humane. Maybe the aquarist thinks it is okay, but it isn't, based upon when we know about fish. Freezing a fish is one of the most inhumane ways of putting down a fish. I think it became popular because the hobbyists, cowards some tend to be, would just rather pop the fish into the freezer and not have to look at the fish anymore. What they don't see is the suffering, suffocating fish in pain, taking up to 15 minutes to die as its gills freeze over and internal organs freeze and rupture.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish and you get rid of him all weekend

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/sho...user=4356&sl=w
Old 07-09-2008, 12:28 AM

atcguy is on a distinguished road

you think poor fishy suffers when its head is cut off... Come on people ,its a fish...!!! When someone posts on here that they lost a fish.. The first thing I look for is "was it expensive" ?? if so then I think that sucks... but when someone says I lost my clown today and all these people post their condolences, I just laugh like this topic.. anyone who needs to put a fish to sleep is crazy... put it on the pavement and step on it.. if thats too gory for you, put it in a covered pot and shake like hell.... , even better the garberator!!!! thats my choice,,
Old 07-09-2008, 12:36 AM

Ryan_Lap is on a distinguished road

When I said to cut off its head that is the best way I have ever done it.

When I tried clove oil once it just took forever and the fish was twitching and ect.

I know there is something you can get from your vet, but now your just spending a pile off money and not all vets have it.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:37 AM

WhoPoopWrasse is on a distinguished road

Gerad, Wow! you're colder than a fish!

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish and you get rid of him all weekend

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/sho...user=4356&sl=w
Old 07-09-2008, 01:32 AM

Moogled is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater View Post
Didn't Nats ask for a HUMANE way to kill fish? I'm sure the obvious clubbing, slicing, smashing and chopping were thought about for a flash, but were discarded in favor of something a little bit better.

If they cared enough to ask the question, I'm sure they were hoping for a useful answer (and thx to those who honestly tried to offer one). Some call it hubbub-I call it compassion.

JMO.
Do you understand what makes something humane?

I'm a bit perplexed that you find my answer not useful. What is it about smashing that makes it inhumane? Do I look like I enjoy bricking my fish?

Unfortunately, there are times when you can't have a preoccupation with euthanizing your fish. It's more about a proper means to an end as opposed to making yourself feel better as a priority.

I'm not going to get into a discussion about comparing human euthanasia and fish euthanasia as the topic would get extremely convoluted and intermingled with ethics, but there's nothing dispassionate about smashing a fish unless you are a sadistic freak. Furthermore, do not mistake clubbing, slicing, chopping, and boiling with smashing. The idea is to destruct the entire body as quickly as possible unless you are telling me that total mush under a brick can feel pain.

All of us here care about alleviating pet pain where possible. Go ahead and shake your head in disapproval at my method, but I would not find insta-smash unacceptable unless you fear the gore, in which I also mentioned that you should choose whatever you can stomach and just do it.

"JMO."

Last edited by Moogled; 07-09-2008 at 01:41 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:58 AM

woodcarver is on a distinguished road
I must agree with MOOGLED. I have kept fish for over fifty years ( wow that's scary)
My advice is to dash it onto a concrete or other hard surface with force and all is over instantly.
A lingering death is most certainly not humane !!
Don't confuse the inability to deal with a terminal situation appropriately as kindness.
....................Dave

Last edited by woodcarver; 07-09-2008 at 03:09 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:11 AM

Underwater is on a distinguished road
Default Yes-I am too emotional....

Ok, I’m taking a breath here to try and say this in the least offensive way possible…I was merely stating that that a person is trying to do the right thing-on every front and has gone to the Canreef population in hopes for a solution, not just some off the cuff comment tossed out at random. It’s a hard position to be in-for sure-and I don’t envy anyone who is, or has been, there.

With that, I agree with you that most of us care more about the actual well being/loss of the fish. When I began my post, your last line was not there…it simply ended with the “hubbub” comment-which (I found) was a bit harsh. The line you subsequently added (while I was typing) did take the edge off the message you were trying to convey, and your most recent post actually explained your point of view quite well-which I respect. And you are right in that Nats needs to take the useful information that has been posted, and do whatever can be stomached.

Emotions, ethics, and queasiness aside, how does one end a fish’s suffering? You make a valid argument for smashing-albeit one I just don’t know if I could pull it off.

Peace-
~M
Old 07-09-2008, 03:30 AM

ae86ray is on a distinguished road

wait till winter time.....freeze it..
Old 07-09-2008, 03:41 AM

Keri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae86ray View Post
wait till winter time.....freeze it..

srsly? I'm sad you have no freezer, but that's besides the point

If you are going to decapitate it QUICKLY then you will cause less trauma, but most people hesitate, stretching things out.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:48 AM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Has anyone here ever gone fishing and done anything other than a good clubbing to kill their fish? Do you carry clove oil in your tackle box? Why should 1 fish be any different than the other? I think humanely means as fast and painless as possible. Its a small fish, simply chop its head off with a cleaver, I promise you that little nemo wont even feel a thing.