Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-01-2013, 05:42 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
That looks pretty sweet!

There are a couple of "Red Dragons" floating around, The Tyree Red Dragon typically goes for a bit more than $50 a frag. I think this is the original Red Dragon. Since then, mariculture has started to bring in a reddish Acropora Carduus which is the same species as Tyree's Red Dragon. Retailers have started to call this Redish Acropora Carduus a "Red Dragon", but is not necessarily the same as the Tyree Red Dragon. I believe Tyree and some other people call this Redish Acropora Carddus a "Pink Dragon Tails" to distinguish it from the Tyree Red Dragon.

I have all three of the above mentioned along with a Purple Dragon and a Blue Dragon (which there are a couple of different variants of as well), and to me the obvious difference between a Tyree Red Dragon and a mariculture Redish Acropora Carduus "Red Dragon"/Pink Dragon Tails is that the Tyree Red Dragon has a bit more blue in it with the white polyps.

Tyree Red Dragon:

Maricultured Acropora Carduus "Red Dragon" / Pink Dragon Tails: (But sold to me from a local retailer as simply a "Red Dragon"

Blue Dragon:

And the Pacman of course looks very similar but has the green tips. I believe they are just different colour morophs of the same or very close relative species. And of course placement of the coral and it's environment will affect its colour as well.

Isn't the name game fun :-)
You now need a pacman in your collection

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 12-01-2013, 05:42 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

And here's a "Teal Dragon" that I used to have

Old 12-01-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
And here's a "Teal Dragon" that I used to have

You definitely need a pacman to your dragon collection. Interested to trade?

Old 12-01-2013, 08:20 PM

ReefHero is on a distinguished road
Default Mr. Pacman?!

Nice score!! I have always liked the mr. Pacman style dragon acro......
The actual tyree lineage red dragon has always seemed to have thinner more delicate branches and often appears to have a blue hue or glow to the top part of the branches....usually no colour on the polyps and very minimal PE.
I picked up a mr. Pacman/ needle in haystack acro from FAL a couple years ago and always liked it until it went RTN.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
That looks pretty sweet!

There are a couple of "Red Dragons" floating around, The Tyree Red Dragon typically goes for a bit more than $50 a frag. I think this is the original Red Dragon. Since then, mariculture has started to bring in a reddish Acropora Carduus which is the same species as Tyree's Red Dragon. Retailers have started to call this Redish Acropora Carduus a "Red Dragon", but is not necessarily the same as the Tyree Red Dragon. I believe Tyree and some other people call this Redish Acropora Carddus a "Pink Dragon Tails" to distinguish it from the Tyree Red Dragon.

I have all three of the above mentioned along with a Purple Dragon and a Blue Dragon (which there are a couple of different variants of as well), and to me the obvious difference between a Tyree Red Dragon and a mariculture Redish Acropora Carduus "Red Dragon"/Pink Dragon Tails is that the Tyree Red Dragon has a bit more blue in it with the white polyps.

Tyree Red Dragon:

Maricultured Acropora Carduus "Red Dragon" / Pink Dragon Tails: (But sold to me from a local retailer as simply a "Red Dragon"

Blue Dragon:

And the Pacman of course looks very similar but has the green tips. I believe they are just different colour morophs of the same or very close relative species. And of course placement of the coral and it's environment will affect its colour as well.

Isn't the name game fun :-)
I agree.....
Your blue and teal dragon look sweet!!
You still have the blue? I see you lost the teal one.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefHero View Post
Nice score!! I have always liked the mr. Pacman style dragon acro......
The actual tyree lineage red dragon has always seemed to have thinner more delicate branches and often appears to have a blue hue or glow to the top part of the branches....usually no colour on the polyps and very minimal PE.
I picked up a mr. Pacman/ needle in haystack acro from FAL a couple years ago and always liked it until it went RTN.

Thanks

The other dragons are Kien's. I only have the pacman. Well mine started RTNing within a day too but I was able to stop it using furan 2. Two dips in two days and now all the tissues are back.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Thanks

The other dragons are Kien's. I only have the pacman. Well mine started RTNing within a day too but I was able to stop it using furan 2. Two dips in two days and now all the tissues are back.
Sorry, I went back and edited that post because I seen that they were kiens. Good luck with mr. Pacman!

Old 12-02-2013, 12:32 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
You definitely need a pacman to your dragon collection. Interested to trade?
I have one of those too :-)

Both my blue and my teal Dragon kicked the bucket during the Calgary floods this spring. I did pass on a backup frag to a buddy who is currently growing it out. It was a sweet piece, athough not totally uncommon.

I recently got a Purple Dragon which is kinda of a cross between the Blue Dragon and the Pink Dragon Tails. I guess you could say it looks like the Tyree/Reef Raft Red Dragon but more purple.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
I have one of those too :-)

Both my blue and my teal Dragon kicked the bucket during the Calgary floods this spring. I did pass on a backup frag to a buddy who is currently growing it out. It was a sweet piece, athough not totally uncommon.

I recently got a Purple Dragon which is kinda of a cross between the Blue Dragon and the Pink Dragon Tails. I guess you could say it looks like the Tyree/Reef Raft Red Dragon but more purple.
Damn! You must really love dragons...hmmm I wonder why

Old 12-02-2013, 01:16 AM

Baker is on a distinguished road

Well thats interesting, i bought a frag from pisces a while back thinking it was a red dragon but it also has green polyps. $25 sounds like it was a good deal as well.