Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 12-10-2010, 07:02 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road
Default hippo tang attacking a niger trigger

Well my niger trigger is a big pussy and my 2" hippo tang is bullying it and trying to smash it with its tail.

It's not a lot of aggression but if the trigger goes in the open then the hippo try to go beside it and smash it from time to time. I cought the hippo trying to go on the spot where the trigger hide so it was obvious he was looking for the trigger as he never went in that area of the tank before and he's been there for a month.

I added the trigger after quarantine about 3 days ago. At first the hippo was a little afraid of the trigger but he seem to be getting more bold since the trigger is a big softy.

Should I be worried that a 2" hippo will do harm to a 4" niger triggerfish? Or will the niger become bold enough to push off the hippo with time?

They are both babies for now but the trigger's body is about the same size as the whole hippo tang with tail. I though hippo tang were peacefull??? and trigger fish aggressive??? what the heck??
Old 12-10-2010, 07:31 PM

ickmagnet is on a distinguished road

I had a Hippo Tang that terrorized my tank for the longest time- leaving dead fish in its' path of destruction. I had to catch it and hand it over to JL Aquatics.

Normally the new fish will get picked on for a week or so and then everyone figures out their role in the tank hierarchy. If it continues on for a long period of time, it will inevitably result in murder. Having said that, I have two clowns that have been scrapping for a year or so now but even they know their side of the tank and try to stick to their turf. CLowns are tough though.

Maybe you should send your trigger to his cousin's place in the trigger "hood" where he can learn to be a man.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't worry about it...yet.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:30 PM

How did he killed the fish? with its tail cutting them alive or by terrorising them to they would stress, stop eating and die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickmagnet View Post
I had a Hippo Tang that terrorized my tank for the longest time- leaving dead fish in its' path of destruction. I had to catch it and hand it over to JL Aquatics.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:02 PM

ickmagnet is on a distinguished road

I would say a little bit of both. You will start to see the scars on your trigger from the tang's razor fins. Eventually, the other fish just go and hide and refuse to come out, even for food. Give it a week or so I say before any drastic measures need to be taken. The trigger just needs to realize that he is bigger.

Last edited by ickmagnet; 12-10-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:02 AM

Yes that's what I thought. A trigger is a trigger is a trigger He's new in the tank so I will see how he react after being at home for a while.

I just hope the tang does not hit the trigger eyes with his tail as the poor trigger is recovering from pop eye. Keeping the fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickmagnet View Post
I would say a little bit of both. You will start to see the scars on your trigger from the tang's razor fins. Eventually, the other fish just go and hide and refuse to come out, even for food. Give it a week or so I say before any drastic measures need to be taken. The trigger just needs to realize that he is bigger.