Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-26-2008, 02:34 AM

Alberta-newb is on a distinguished road
Question Water storage ideas/suggestions?

Hi everyone, I'm still in the process of my 120 in the wall build and am looking for suggestions/ideas on water storage. I have a RO/DI unit on its way and I'm wondering what you all suggest. I have a closet adjacent to the tank for my hardware and I'm looking at a 30 gal RV storage tank to put in there.

I already have a 5 gal hopper bottom I bought from the same place that I mounted above the tank to gravity feed my ATO. This will be filled manually with RO water and goes to a float valve in the sump.

I was planning on two storage tanks, but reconsidering to conserve space. Is it better to have storage for just RO or do some of you keep pre-mix SW for water changes? Which keeps better? The tank is made in black so algae growth should be less of a problem and I was thinking about permanently installing a pump/powerhead and a heater in it. I just want to avoid too much work and mess with buckets.

Thanks for any ideas.

Francis "Alberta "
Old 04-26-2008, 03:23 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

I don't store ro/di other than the few gallons in the reservoir that came with the unit, nor pre-made up SW.

Every couple or 3 weeks for a water change I just fill up a trash can with ro/di and then go from there.

I've been thinking as well as getting a RV tank since first seeing the one in my trailer just haven't really looked for one. I have a basement fish room and the flat profile of the RV tanks would make it easy to suspend from the floor joists without worrying about hitting my head. That way I could use gravity for a ATO and the tank wouldn't take up any floor space.

If I ever stumble across that RV wreaking yard that people keep telling me about but don't seem to know the name, I'm buying one.

Last edited by mark; 04-26-2008 at 05:56 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-26-2008, 03:32 AM

Alberta-newb is on a distinguished road

Yah I liked the idea of using the rectangular tanks as they are so much more space efficient. The place where I'm getting mine is called Pro-Mold in Crossfield (30 min. North of Calgary). He's offering the 30 gal rectangular in black at 2 for 1 ($155 for both) Normally he sells them in the white but he ordered in a bunch in black for a customer. Turns out the guy was not a reefer but a "reefer dealer" who had his grow-op busted before he took delivery Pro-Mold has a big selection of tanks anywhere from 2 to 2000 gallons. I just picked out the 30 gal as it was the right size (50"x15"x9.5") for the best price.