Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 01-12-2009, 02:51 AM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone try feeding their trigger or puffer red meat?

I have a large clown and he's a piglet, A guy on here had to sell him as he was getting too big for his reef so I took him into my fowler he ate nori like it was going out of style like half a sheet all to himself. Eats half a tiger prawn like a champ lucky fish. So I thought I would try other meat to mix it up. We were cooking a braised pork dish and while cutting the pork I tried to feed it a half thumb size fatty meat piece to my amazement he ate the whole thing in one shot.

Meat is meat so I thought there was no diff and like a trigger or puffer fish was going to be picky anyhow. I'm going to the local fish stores and seeing if there any leftovers salmon stomach that I could feed it and my puffer to get some natural fat in them, please share if anyone has done this.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 01-12-2009, 03:20 AM

AngryTriGGer is on a distinguished road

I have tried this with different pieces of salmon in my old roomates tank. Had a niger and picasso trigger and lunar wrasse. None of them bothered with it. After it was bbq'd I sure enjoyed the salmon though.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:36 AM

johncody is on a distinguished road
Default Moose Meat

As a Hunter and the son of a hunter i have eattan Moose meat all my life. i also use to feed it to my triggers and they loved it. Pure Organic meat.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:19 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
I have a large clown and he's a piglet, A guy on here had to sell him as he was getting too big for his reef so I took him into my fowler he ate nori like it was going out of style like half a sheet all to himself. Eats half a tiger prawn like a champ lucky fish. So I thought I would try other meat to mix it up. We were cooking a braised pork dish and while cutting the pork I tried to feed it a half thumb size fatty meat piece to my amazement he ate the whole thing in one shot.

Meat is meat so I thought there was no diff and like a trigger or puffer fish was going to be picky anyhow. I'm going to the local fish stores and seeing if there any leftovers salmon stomach that I could feed it and my puffer to get some natural fat in them, please share if anyone has done this.
Salmon is the wrong kind of fish to be feeding triggers. You should only be feeding "white" fish meat. You can grab some pretty cheap fish from T&T market or even Save on that will last months in the freezer. I used to feed a lot of different fish meats to my triggers/puffers.

Last edited by GreenSpottedPuffer; 01-26-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncody View Post
As a Hunter and the son of a hunter i have eattan Moose meat all my life. i also use to feed it to my triggers and they loved it. Pure Organic meat.
Not good for them. Why would you feed something to a fish that is not even close to part of their natural diet or at least a product made to mimic it?
Old 01-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Go to a Korean grocery store and buy the dried shrimp they sell for human consumption. My wife's two porcupine puffers & the niger trigger I got from GreenSpottedPuffer all love it and its very economical.

Anthony
Old 01-27-2009, 12:52 AM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

A couple of thoughts about this. If Triggers don't eat red meat in the wild, their metabolism may not be suited to digest red meat which contains different sorts of fat than seafood does. This could lead to metabolic problems/illness which could shorten the life of the Trigger.

The other thought is that if they get used to the taste of red meat, watch out next time your hands are in the tank.
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge
Old 01-27-2009, 02:34 AM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

red meat may not be that good for their digestive system and I havent tried it since. I bought some silverfish and mackeral and have been feeding them this instead they love it so does my wallet!

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 01-27-2009, 04:28 AM

Diana is on a distinguished road

Stick to the general rule:

Feed freshwater foods to freshwater fish, marine-based foods to marine fish. There are some exceptions to the rule and sometimes a "snack" of blood worms or something alike to marine fish is acceptable, but you can't go wrong attempting to feed your fishies things that they would eat in the wild.

So I probably would stay away from meats.

-Diana

Old 01-27-2009, 04:42 AM

The Moose meat still just baffles me

The last time I checked, Moose were not migrating down to Indonesia or Australia and falling into the ocean for triggers to eat.