Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-23-2012, 10:26 PM

turbo is on a distinguished road

it's designed so 50% of the overflow runs to the refuge directly, (after baffling)
the other 50% runs to the skimmer chamber

the refuge overflows to the skimmer chamber

so basically the skimmer chamber is experiencing 100% of the flow. It's the last in line before the return pump. All of the water passes by the skimmer but only half of it passes thru the refuge.

Initially I thought I would dial down the flow to the refugium and have most of it go to the skimmer chamber, but then I realized that with the size of the pump I plan on having, I can't afford to restrict any of the flow in either pipe. So it's a 50/50 split.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:46 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Sorry, I had a thought I didn't write
Slower flow through your 'fuge is better
I was thinking about you running both your drains to your skimmer section, then use a small pump to feed the 'fuge. This way you can regulate the flow if it's too much. It's possible the amount you'll get with your current design will be acceptable, but you might have to experiment a bit
Old 12-23-2012, 10:53 PM

ah that makes much more sense. lol!

i have also been experiencing some doubt that the flow rate is slow enough through the refuge. I guess I could direct both drains to the skimmer chamber and either use a small pump like you said, or possibly tee off one of the drains into the refuge.

i suppose it's best to use freshly skimmed water for the refuge, but i also want to use fewer pumps. i'd hate to see a siphon form from the refuge to the skimmer chamber, because if you combine that with back flow from the tank, they could add up to a flood. the refuge and pre-fuge chamber carry more volume than the skimmer and return pump chamber.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:04 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

A Tee would be a better idea for cost savings. Only thing I'd suggest is you open the valve fully periodically to flush out whatever may be stuck or building up inside it

Using non-skimmed water is better for your 'fuge, so your Tee wins there too
Old 12-24-2012, 03:21 AM

Hey I just thought of something. What if the PVC drain that is destined for the refuge is piped into the cabinet through a hole that is lower than the top of the sump by 8" or so? It would have to climb uphill and then it could drain freely into the sump.

I suspect this would greatly reduce the flow rate of this pipe without restricting it mechanically???

I dunno am I missing something here? Part of the reason why I want to do this is because one of those holes that I already drilled (see pics) is now going to be lower than the top height of the sump tank, but I still want to use the hole.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:31 AM

orr it might just trap debris over time and become clogged ... better drill a new hole higher up.

Tags
advice, fowlr, new tank, noob