Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-31-2020, 01:54 AM

Sasq40 is on a distinguished road
Default What tank would you get?

Wifes given me permission to get a new tank after moving and we couldn't fit the old one anywhere in our house. Going to be putting the new tank in a bump-out which is 70" wide(so close to 72!!) So I've been looking into 4 options. The Red Sea reefer 525, The IM NUVO Int 170,waterbox 180.5, and custom-built. At the end of the day, they all seem to be around the same price(4000$ CAD).

I like that the IM is coast to coast, setup for bean animal and aluminum stand, but it seems like you don't get as much for your money with them(no sump, which I have but not the point) Also the tank seems to be 30" in depth which id prefer 24 as that's the bump-out but not the end of the world to have it stick out.

The red sea and waterbox I don't see huge differences in them.

The custom option I get the biggest tank possible that will fit in my location and set up how i want(which might be a good or bad thing ha) But I also don't have a ton of extra spare time to be building a stand and im to cheap to pay someone to build one that probably won't be as nice as the one id build. Im also having a hard time finding someone localish(nearest is 600km away) to build a tank that I'm confident knows reef tanks and there plumbing(every seems confused when i ask about c2c and beans animal)

So end of the day looking for recommendations on what you guys would do. I plan to do a full reef system but nothing crazy as its hard to get anything where i live since theres no local salt water fish store here. Ive already got all the equipment side of things from my old 180g,2 mp40s,3 xr30,skimmer,and Vectra M2 return.
Old 12-31-2020, 02:29 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Personally I'd go with Concept for a compete custom setup with a coast-to-coast and either a Herbie or a Bean overflow.
Rich Bblinks is your local contact
Old 12-31-2020, 02:45 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Lots of things coming up with the silicone seams blowing out on the Red Sea reefers. I would personally go through Concept again, if I am ever to do a new build display. I will most likely be getting a frag tank built next though and will definitely go to Concept. I have been overall very happy with my custom tank. At the end of the day, go custom if you want everything geared to a specific area of your house IMO.
Old 12-31-2020, 02:50 AM

I was talking to a builder in Edmonton, was hoping not to have to go to Calgary but if the price is right I'd travel. The builder in Edmonton says he usually goes off customers drawing for the overflows, but I'm not really sure what the best design would be.

Here's the sump I got when I was in Edmonton, it's a 60 gallon that I was gonna use after I broke the sump in the move on my last tank but after my crash I never did end up using it

Old 12-31-2020, 03:28 AM
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasq40 View Post
I was talking to a builder in Edmonton, was hoping not to have to go to Calgary but if the price is right I'd travel. The builder in Edmonton says he usually goes off customers drawing for the overflows, but I'm not really sure what the best design would be.

Here's the sump I got when I was in Edmonton, it's a 60 gallon that I was gonna use after I broke the sump in the move on my last tank but after my crash I never did end up using it

If your builder doesn't have designs for you what are you going to get?
Old 12-31-2020, 03:29 AM
On Hiatus

Your pictures aren't showing up
Old 12-31-2020, 03:58 AM

kyl is on a distinguished road

Get a 3-drain setup, and make sure they send you progress shots, and make them do a final QC check on the tank top to bottom.

I didn't do that on my last tank and the rear panel is tilted a few degrees from a sloppy placement, and there was some wierd craze-ish looking lines on the visible starphire panel that I just gave up pursuing with covid hitting stride as it was going nowhere.

That's the largest issue with custom tanks up here for some reason, rather poor quality control or attention to detail.
Old 12-31-2020, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Your pictures aren't showing up

Yeah I couldn't get the link to work on my phone for some reason.
http://imgur.com/gallery/7TIIvJR

The plsce I was talking to in Edmonton is aqualab, someone on FB sent me that way and they said they usually build tanks to what ever there customers draw for them
Old 12-31-2020, 04:45 AM
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasq40 View Post
Yeah I couldn't get the link to work on my phone for some reason.
http://imgur.com/gallery/7TIIvJR

The plsce I was talking to in Edmonton is aqualab, someone on FB sent me that way and they said they usually build tanks to what ever there customers draw for them
Concept has great info for tank and sump builds
They give tank plans etc
Don't skimp on this purchase
Old 12-31-2020, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Concept has great info for tank and sump builds
They give tank plans etc
Don't skimp on this purchase
I'll talk to them tomorrow for sure, i was hoping for something close but it's still only a days drive lol