Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 02-24-2013, 04:00 PM

mandyplo is on a distinguished road
Default Any tips on where to obtain captive bred mandarinfish/dragonet?

While my tank is empty and quickly building up a copepod population, I'd like to add a mandarin first. My tank has almost been fallow for 7 weeks (3 more weeks to go) and I'm starting to look into purchasing a mandarin fish.

I'm looking to spend the extra $$ on a captive bred to lower my chances of losing one of these beautiful fish. I've always wanted to give one a go but having an immature tank and feeling nervous about my other fish giving it a hard time I patiently waited until the time was right. My tank is now over a year old, and after endless hours of reading and trying to learn as much as I can about them I think I'm ready (though we are never really ready!)

I don't even know where to start looking for one. My issue as always, is that I live in a secluded town (Thunder Bay, Ontario) far from any big cities so shipping is always a hassle. Does anyone know of any online stores that carry captive bred mandarins in Canada who would be able to ship to Ontario?
The only place I have found so far is www.reefaquatica.com They have a green spotted captive bred mandarin right now. I will probably scoop this guy up if I can't find any other shops online who sell them. I would prefer a blue mandarin over the green spotted however....

Thanks guys hoping someone can give me a few leads.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:58 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

I have heard mixed reviews on captive bred mandarins. They are bloody expensive for one.

No guarantee they will do any better. I had talked to a local LFS that brought them in once from ORA I "think" and they said they would never again.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyob View Post
I have heard mixed reviews on captive bred mandarins. They are bloody expensive for one.

No guarantee they will do any better. I had talked to a local LFS that brought them in once from ORA I "think" and they said they would never again.
Thanks paddy. The green spotted that I linked was from ORA also. Maybe I will just try my hand at a wild caught one as I feel they would do fine in my copepod filled tank anyways if I had trouble getting them to eat prepared foods. Any tips on where I could purchase a mandarin then period, tank raised or not?
Old 02-24-2013, 06:32 PM

ckmullin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyplo View Post
Thanks paddy. The green spotted that I linked was from ORA also. Maybe I will just try my hand at a wild caught one as I feel they would do fine in my copepod filled tank anyways if I had trouble getting them to eat prepared foods. Any tips on where I could purchase a mandarin then period, tank raised or not?
I've seen in at least 1 LFS here in Calgary. Dunno if they ship or stuff like that. If you want I'll pm you their details.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:54 PM

One last thing. How big is your system? You need a good sized tank. If what I understand is your tank is new, wait. Until at least 6 months. In anything under say 40-50 gallons the Mandy will obliterate your pods. If you have never had one before, research. Research. Then research some more.

Even captive bred, I was told, revert back to pods from prepared over time. So if you lose your pods you lose the fish.

Green spotted are, however, much hardier than greens. I had a green
In the past eat frozen everyday. But my green would not touch it.

Spotted will also feed on flatworms in your tank. Which is great.

My 70 Gallon build:

My Mandarin Paradise:

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:56 PM

darb is on a distinguished road

J and L has mandarins in, not sure if they are ORA, but they did just get an ORA order in ...
Old 02-24-2013, 08:13 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
One last thing. How big is your system? You need a good sized tank.
i dont completely agree with that, at least the tank size part anyway, a mature tank goes alot farther then a tank of a large size , according to this logic the three mandarins ive had for a long time should have cleared out my tank (25g)and be skinny and starving

i dose several types of copepods, live phytoplankton twice a day to feed the pods and all three of my mandarins are fat as any ive seen.

not so much the size of the tank but making sure you can supply the food is the key, mandarins/dragonettes arnt as hard as they were to keep years ago....same with alot of difficult fish as rearing their food is getting easier too.

having a large live food population is one of the most important things , lots of food means less stress, better health,and territory aggression is very little compared to fish who have to fight and hunt heavy for food.

besides feeding the mandarins you need to feed their food too

hth

cheers

denny
Old 02-25-2013, 02:45 PM

You are preaching to the choir Denny. I had my 20g Mandy tank. It's possible for some but not all.

It's not an easy first fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
i dont completely agree with that, at least the tank size part anyway, a mature tank goes alot farther then a tank of a large size , according to this logic the three mandarins ive had for a long time should have cleared out my tank (25g)and be skinny and starving

i dose several types of copepods, live phytoplankton twice a day to feed the pods and all three of my mandarins are fat as any ive seen.

not so much the size of the tank but making sure you can supply the food is the key, mandarins/dragonettes arnt as hard as they were to keep years ago....same with alot of difficult fish as rearing their food is getting easier too.

having a large live food population is one of the most important things , lots of food means less stress, better health,and territory aggression is very little compared to fish who have to fight and hunt heavy for food.

besides feeding the mandarins you need to feed their food too

hth

cheers

denny

My 70 Gallon build:

My Mandarin Paradise:

Old 02-25-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
You are preaching to the choir Denny. I had my 20g Mandy tank. It's possible for some but not all.

It's not an easy first fish.

This seems to always happen but no matter how much info you put in the original post, no one seems to read it and I always find myself repeating... Anyways, My 65 gallon is over a year old now and I have done endless reading on these fish since I started my tank because I've always wanted one. I have also purchased from reef nutrition the live tigger pods and the phytoplankton to feed the tiggers. I'm fully prepared to continue to stock my tank with pods for the mandarins if they refuse to eat prepared foods.

And I don't know where you got the idea that this would be my first fish... I have many fish they are just in quarantine right now, I have been a fish hobbyist for years and I have successfully kept other hard to keep fish such as certain anthias and butterfly fish. Sorry if I'm sounding rude I just feel that a lot of people jump to conclusions/makes assumptions when I have already stated the facts.

Last edited by mandyplo; 02-25-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:58 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyplo View Post
This seems to always happen but no matter how much info you put in the original post, no one seems to read it and I always find myself repeating... Anyways, My 65 gallon is over a year old now and I have done endless reading on these fish since I started my tank because I've always wanted one. I have also purchased from reef nutrition the live tigger pods and the phytoplankton to feed the tiggers. I'm fully prepared to continue to stock my tank with pods for the mandarins if they refuse to eat prepared foods.

And I don't know where you got the idea that this would be my first fish... I have many fish they are just in quarantine right now, I have been a fish hobbyist for years and I have successfully kept other hard to keep fish such as certain anthias and butterfly fish. Sorry if I'm sounding rude I just feel that a lot of people jump to conclusions/makes assumptions when I have already stated the facts.
In fairness to all who posted your OP:

1. that you tank is a 65 gallon
2. stats this is a start up tank but later says it is 1 year old.
3. fallow but pods are growing.??

Kudos to you for seeking out aquacultured.

Contrary to the other poster in the case of mandarins it does make a difference.
Mandarins feed on the reef and when someone approaches dive for the nearest hole. Fishers squirt cyanide in and they come out but half are dead and another half die by the time they reach the beach.
MAC taught the fishers to hook them but with MAC gone I do not know whether this continues.

Mandarins! Always buy aquacultured. Never buy a mandarin that you do not see actively eating in the LFS.

Tags
mandarin goby dragonet