Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 07-10-2012, 04:38 PM

Oilers is on a distinguished road
Default Mexico

I am planning to book a trip to Mexico for my family this August and I am wondering if you guys can help me making my trip more enjoyable.
The place is Riviera Maya and the hotel is Gran Bahia Principe Copa. Have you stayed there before and how was your experience? Is there another hotel you would recommend? I am looking at 4 or 5 stars hotels only.
What is there to do in there? What are must see sites? I am bringing my kids (4 and 2 years old). I am trying to find things to do that are suitable for them as well.
That's all I can think of right now. If you can think of something else, please let me know. Mucha gracias!!!
Old 07-10-2012, 04:47 PM

badfish! is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to badfish!

I havent stayed at the coba, but my sister's boyfriend did, and he really like it. I went to the mayan riviera last year and really enjoyed it. We did the xel ha excursion and really liked it as well as the coba ruins/mayan village excursion. I've also heard the isla de meurjas (probably incorrect spelling, but it sort of translates to the island of women) excursion and snorkelling with turtles is good too.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:48 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

August = too hot! From experience, you'll be stuck looking for shelter in the pool using a lounger for sun coverage. Visiting sites in the extreme heat is not recommended by anyone. You'll even bake in the ocean and unless the beach has shade and a decent breeze you'll find yourself avoiding that as well. Honestly take your family there in the winter or early spring and you'll find it much more enjoyable.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:52 PM

Oilers is on a distinguished road

Sphelps,
Yeah, that's what I've heard from my friends as well that it's too hot in August. However, our anniversary is coming up and the boss wants to go somewhere nice so I can't really wait until winter or spring unless I want to sleep on the couch until then
Old 07-10-2012, 04:57 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

I haven't stayed there but i have been to H10 Ocean Turquesa. it was a great resort not huge which was nice. They do have a "kids club" and entertain and keep the kids active. The food was endless and very good, lots of North American types of food also if your kids are fussy eaters. About a 20 minute bus ride from Cancun. Xel-ha (shell ha) It's a water park about an hour bus ride south and is "okay" for adults but I can't remember there being much for little kids.

Last edited by jorjef; 07-10-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:13 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

You will love it there, I took the family twice to that same resort, both times, and again both times stayed at the Coba.

The food is great, the people great... We had incredible service.... The Coba pool is the BEST and the Activities people are fun. Say Hi to Chico for us!!! That isn't his real name, but that is what he calls himself. Lots of parties at the pool and they love their drinking games. Staff remembered us, from previous visit and made us feel special.

This resort also has its own dolphins pool... If you play your cards right and get to know the activities group, they do give away quite a few free passes. I took 4 of us (my whole family) to swim with the dolphins for cheap, as I won 4 passes (basic package), and upgrade each to the better package. Total cost to me was $120 instead of $600.

Also, go to the dive shop on the beach and take the boat to swim with the sea turtles and snorkel in the reef. It was $30 each, well worth it... This time of year, you will most likely catch the hatching of the baby turtles as well. Also buy the pictures, it cost us (I think) $50 for all pic's, this was sooooo cheap and included professional pic's taken by the photographer of things like turtles, fish, coral, etc.

For excursions, and for kids your age, go to XelHa... This is a natural lagoon, where you get to swim with stingrays, fish of all types, basically everything of the wild. You get to relax on huge tubes down the lazy river (well not relax, as you have to navigate) But is cool, as it is a fresh water river, flowing into salt water. There are zip lines that kids your age can go on. Tickets are best to buy at the resort, same price as taking a taxi to the location and buying there, but you get free transporation. Well worth it!!! Price of ticket includes, transportation, all inclusive food and beverages (includes alchohol). Once there they have life jackets (mandatory) and snorkels and flippers if you need, but bring your own, you will use on resort also.

Great short excursion to ruins, would be Tulum... $50 each, for half a day. Smaller ruins that Chitiniza (spelled wrong I know), but beautiful, and these ruins are on the cliffs to the water. After the tour, you get to spend some time on one of the most beautiful beaches/cliffside that you will ever see. Believe me I was impressed. Kids had great time body surfing and fighting with the waves, they are huge, and cool to play in.

Remember to see Fransico at the Coba pool, he will give you better deals if possible on all excursions.

I would most diffenately recommend the Gran Bahia Principe (Coba) to anyone, and would go back. Actually we are returning this xmas again... However to another resort, as the wife did want something different. But we will return there again.

If you want to talk, give me a call (403) 919-3442
Rick

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 07-10-2012, 05:15 PM

Oh yeah... I went last summer and through xmas. As others stated it is HOT!!! But what was nice is that the resorts are NOT full, so it is nice to not fight for pool/beach loungers, etc. Also pricing on excursions were cheaper in comparison to the busier times like xmas.

Even though it is hot, of which I hate heat, that didn't bother me, and I got use to it... But prepare yourself to be wet, lots of humidity that time of year.

Oh yeah, Also take a taxi into Playa Del Carmen. Should be about $3 per person each way. Visit 5th Avenue for all your shopping needs. There you can also take a ferry to Cozumel if you want.

Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker

Last edited by globaldesigns; 07-10-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:19 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

Yeah it'll be crazy hot. From personal experience; riu hotels are good, family friendly and the food is good
Old 07-10-2012, 05:26 PM

Just thought I should also post where I am going this xmas. Check out Marina El Cid Resort and Spa.

This is a much smaller resort (350 rooms), and we are trying it for something different. Haven't been there before, but reviews and comments from others, is that this place is luxurious. Resort is built on the water, so you have waterfront rooms and garden rooms (backside). The gardens are beautiful from what I can see.

The pool is huge, with cliff jumping built into it and with 2 water slides.

Check it out!

Old 07-10-2012, 05:27 PM

burgerchow is on a distinguished road
Default Mexico

Crazy hot in August. Bring lots of mosquito repellant as when the sun goes down, they come out in droves ( it's still a jungle in Mayan riviera)
The best resorts in Mexico are the "dreams resorts". If you go, you gotta check out the state park called Xcaret. There's an underground river that you can float down into the ocean. Also some of the best snorkeling I've ever experienced is there.
Why don't you consider Hawaii ? With the tropical trade winds, doesn't feel as hot, and lots of cheap airfares in August.

120 , lps. 2xKessil A350W Tuna Blues, 2xvortech mp40 for flow,aqualogic 1/4 hp chiller, 160 lbs live rock. sohal, , pair of percs,flame dotty back , royal gramma, pair of black percs, niger trigger, mandarin

55 corner bowfront freshwater, African cichlids kessil a350

30 gal 36x36 coffee table fish tank. 3 red ear sliders.

5.5 gal nano, live rock, arrow crab, baby perc, firefish.