Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 05-01-2016, 11:26 PM

daelie is on a distinguished road

For today I just have a small little photo dump of some frags that I'm gonna try to keep track of the growth of over the coming months and hopefully trade/sell them once they get around to covering their plugs. Some have already taken off a lot more than their friends around them. Pictures were taken with the kessils on 100% intensity and 0% color.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:00 PM

Update!

Added a tuxedo urchin and a few chromis to get some more life in the tank, plus added a couple new corals and fiddled around with the camera to take a few new photos. Hopefully I'll be able to update my frag shots from the earlier post in the coming days/week, as I've looked at a few of them and have seen some good growth, just need to get off my butt and actually get some photos. For now, I'll leave with these.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:48 PM

A sad update today unfortunately.

2 days ago, I came home to see my female maroon not eating anything. Usually always at the top of the tank waiting for it when I walk in the room, she was just huddled inside the anemone watching the food go by. I was a little worried, so I took a video and some pictures for a guy who's very active on the international forums and is generally quite good at diagnosing fish diseases, since I looked and couldn't really see anything with regards to white dots on her skin or sliminess building up. He had a good look and couldn't see anything other than he mouth looked a little bigger than normal and she wasn't closing her mouth either, from this he deduced that she may have bitten some zoas near the anemone in an attempt to move them away, as that's decently common behavior, so I turned the lights out, and she stayed in the anemone as I went to sleep.

I woke up, and she was still in the anemone flapping away, still swimming strongly from all I could see, so I went to work that day. My girlfriend feeds the fish once she gets home from work earlier than me and called me to tell me she looked worse, no longer in the anemone and just swimming very lethargicly, sometimes with her fins no longer moving and very near the bottom of the tank. I posted some pics for the fellow again as well as video and he still could see nothing in terms of parasitic infection, but suggested I get her out into quarantine to start some antibiotic treatment. Unfortunately, she was gone when I got home. Within 24 hours, she went from a voracious eater to no longer in my tank, and his best guess was that she bit a zoa/paly and ingested a small amount of palytoxin that led to her rapid demise. Everyone else in the tank seems perfectly fine so far, with the smaller clown taking over the anemone for the time being, until I'm able to find a suitable mate for him, probably soon to be her.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:04 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about your fish, we do our best to keep things alive and well but sometimes these things just happen.

I have a question regarding your lighting. I am running a 6 bulb T5 over a 40g breeder tank and have been thinking about adding Kessils to it. I have seen the Kessils by themselves and they look great but don't want to get rid of the T5's. Do you still get the shimmer and color pop when running both together or do you find the T5's wash the shimmer out? I have run tanks with just LED's and don't want to go down that route anymore. Thanks!
Old 06-18-2016, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
Sorry to hear about your fish, we do our best to keep things alive and well but sometimes these things just happen.

I have a question regarding your lighting. I am running a 6 bulb T5 over a 40g breeder tank and have been thinking about adding Kessils to it. I have seen the Kessils by themselves and they look great but don't want to get rid of the T5's. Do you still get the shimmer and color pop when running both together or do you find the T5's wash the shimmer out? I have run tanks with just LED's and don't want to go down that route anymore. Thanks!
Thanks, it's been a few years since I've lost a fish and it's more the fact that I'm still not even 80% sure as to why.

In regards to the lighting, I do still see a good amount of shimmer from the kessils during midday. But I do ramp up my kessils intensity as well. Over a 40 breeder, you might not be able to ramp up the intensity as much because of the depth, so I'm not completely sure if they'll get washed out. I use my kessils before and after the t5's come on/off as well, so I have some points of just kessils on 10% intensity 0% color which I like in the mornings and late at night before everything goes out. I really do like the color of the tank right now using both.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:38 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daelie View Post
Thanks, it's been a few years since I've lost a fish and it's more the fact that I'm still not even 80% sure as to why.

In regards to the lighting, I do still see a good amount of shimmer from the kessils during midday. But I do ramp up my kessils intensity as well. Over a 40 breeder, you might not be able to ramp up the intensity as much because of the depth, so I'm not completely sure if they'll get washed out. I use my kessils before and after the t5's come on/off as well, so I have some points of just kessils on 10% intensity 0% color which I like in the mornings and late at night before everything goes out. I really do like the color of the tank right now using both.
Thanks for the reply. I have a 36"x24"x20"H tank as well that I'm in the process of setting up again and will be using the same lights. So good to know about the intensity required to get the shimmer effect.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:53 AM

Been a while since my last update. I've done a little bit of redoing the aquascape to be very minimal on the rock in the actual display and since I have both marinepure spheres and siporax in my sump, I haven't seen any negative effect from this change. There's been some good growth and coloration increase with a lot of corals and I saw a good recovery of a red planet frag that was given to me as a very pale sps frag a little over a month ago. I placed it on my frag rack and watched as it slowly regained color and polyp extension. Those pictures below to show the change.

Another SPS I've seen some good growth was my pink lemonade acro, it turned a little green after I ripped it off it's frag plug and glued it onto a rock, but it didn't take very long before the color properly returned and growth took off. Again a couple comparison pics.

A full tank shot with the pumps off, and I still need to tidy up a lot of frag plugs that are lying around, which I'll take of once I set up a frag tank I've been meaning to get running for a little while now.

Finally, I'll end with just a few other pics that I ended up taking after coming home from vacation. And one of the frag rack that I'm hoping to get out of my display in the coming weeks.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:34 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Looking awesome! Color and polyp extension are excellent! I'm not a fan of how little rock there is (looks like a frag tank to me), but if you like it that's all that matters!

SPS fanatic.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Looking awesome! Color and polyp extension are excellent! I'm not a fan of how little rock there is (looks like a frag tank to me), but if you like it that's all that matters!
Thanks. To be honest, it kind of is a frag tank right now. I have way more zoas than I know what to do with and I've been getting rid of both those and LPS in favor of replacing everything with SPS. In time, as I get more SPS, it should fill in nicely. They just need to grow a lot faster.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:54 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Tank looks good man I have been thinking if I want to get back into the salt world again. I moved to oromocto 2 years ago from Manitoba. Love the can reef world. Nice little skimmer the omega 130. I out in burton now where a outs in Fred's are ya north south east or west