Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Ontario

Old 01-12-2012, 05:56 AM

staceyd72 is on a distinguished road

I didn't realize RC was really strict, though I have not spent much time on there in the past few years
I agree about the noobs; God forbid if you don't have 1.5-2lbs/gallon of live rock - doomed for failure from the start

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi delt reefer View Post
should have been clearer - its like RC in terms of strictness, definately not in terms of info. when the site owner just berates noobs for questionable stocking on every thread its hard to appreciate what else the community can possibly offer.

Agree, GTAaquaria is also a great site with some great discussion and no yelling, (disclaimer, I'm not a moderator or affiliated with the operation of the site )
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpchips View Post
There's a few small Ontario forums - I think there's one in the Ottawa area, one in the Peterborough area, and another in the Hamilton area.

As for the GTA, like was said before, AquariumPros is like the Kijiji/Craigslist. Not much forum content, but most go for the classifieds.

Also check out GTAaquaria.com - it's a fresh/salt forum and there tends to be a bit more "discussion" than over on AP. There's a lot more SW folks over there now so it's worthwhile to check out (disclaimer - I'm a mod there).
Old 01-16-2012, 02:01 PM

JBen is on a distinguished road

New guy in town (tank just got filled this weekend), thought I'd pipe in.

Quote:
should have been clearer - its like RC in terms of strictness, definately not in terms of info. when the site owner just berates noobs for questionable stocking on every thread its hard to appreciate what else the community can possibly offer.
Reason number one I'm reluctant to participate there. Its good for information so I'm lurking, absorbing as much information as possible (and suffering information overload). So to me anyways, its useful site but not one I want to dip my toes into, it seems to be very "theres only one way to do things and its it's my way or the high way". Not very welcoming.

Quote:
Also check out GTAaquaria.com - it's a fresh/salt forum and there tends to be a bit more "discussion" than over on AP. There's a lot more SW folks over there now so it's worthwhile to check out (disclaimer - I'm a mod there).
Also signed up there, it appears to be fairly inactive in the SW sections.
I find it odd, for as large as Ont and the GTA is, you'd think there'd be more. Even retailers don't seem plentiful, particularily if your in the East.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:02 PM
nc208082

I thought i'd give this site a try again. I agree with what a lot of people say about AP, but i found the exact same treatment here. When i first joined this forum a while ago i tried to speak in a post or two and because i had knowledge of leds i made a recommendation, right away i was accused of just promoting that company and my opinion didnt have value. Turns out the company i was recommending being orphek turned out to be one of the best.

Second i was scolded and had my posts deleted for recommending a place to get corals from because a few people here had a bad experience with this guy. Yet i know tons of people who purchase from him regularly and its amazing.

I'd like to give this site a try again meet some fellow Ontario/Gta reefers.

*I will admit i find myself guilty of questioning people when they say they have a tang in a 65gallon though,
Old 05-31-2012, 04:32 AM

bluesox68 is on a distinguished road

Glad I found this site just for this section lol, Just got back into the hobby went on to old faithful "AP" and it was dead. My few simple questions got no responces. So lets hope some more Southern Ontario people can start tradding frags with me from ths site. As soon as I got here I checked the classifides and my jaw hit the ground until I found out none were in Ontario lol

Cheers
Old 05-31-2012, 04:41 AM

NorthernCoral is on a distinguished road

There is so many reefers in Ont it amazes me that there are not more on here..Used to be thousands on ap at a time but now theres bearly any so where did everyone go?? Im from Ontario originally but didnt find out about canreef till I moved out here. lol
Old 05-31-2012, 12:32 PM

DAVE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesox68 View Post
Glad I found this site just for this section lol, Just got back into the hobby went on to old faithful "AP" and it was dead. My few simple questions got no responces. So lets hope some more Southern Ontario people can start tradding frags with me from ths site. As soon as I got here I checked the classifides and my jaw hit the ground until I found out none were in Ontario lol

Cheers

I have lots of nice frags

All at reasonable prices.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:53 PM

FrenchAchilles is on a distinguished road

for the Ottawa area, we have ovas.ca is the local site.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:26 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

How so?

Canreef has more daily members, active members, and likely more posts in one day than they have all week. All for good reason. Now that one sponsor is not posting shipment info on the other site there is no reason to be there at all really.

Quote:
aquarium pros is sorta Canada's reef central.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:36 PM

jroovers is on a distinguished road

AP seems to be slowing down traffic wise. I'll be looking to this forum more frequently to share.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:31 PM

PFoster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrologist View Post
You should try Reef Escape. Not too many people on that site yet, but it does have some really good members. Very friendly and knowledgeable forum.

Most of the AP sponsors are also on Reef Escape, so you can still stay in the loop with the specials/shipments.
Agreed!
Reef escape is a smaller site currently but everyone is very friendly.
Hope to see this site grow as we really need a decent web page in the GTA.