Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-20-2016, 02:18 PM

brisco is on a distinguished road
Default cyano battle

So...I have a whole bunch of cyano in my display and am looking for advice on how to get rid of it all. 100 gal mixed reef heavily stocked with a sand bottom. So far here is what I have done.
1. Lots of swearing, followed by crying then praying
2. sucked out the cyano on the sand which is where most of it is
3. tooth brushed it off the few rocks that it is on
4. changed the RowaPhos in my reactor
5. reduced feeding
6. added carbon in a reactor
7. change the filter socks daily
8. added a mechanical filter for 24 hours
9. started a full black out...so far for 24 hours, plan up to 72?
10 25% water change
11. had a beer

any otlher ideas/advice? repeat #11?

Thanks Bryce
Old 06-20-2016, 02:21 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I never mess around with all that, I just hit it with chemiclean and be done with it.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:42 PM

I remember that you were running a Chemiclean when I came over last year Brad. How does everything do with the Chemiclean? Loose any coral or inverts? I am worried that it will nuke all my pods and good stuff too.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:06 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I've never had a negative experience using it, no impact to livestock at all. I've probably used it half a dozen times over the last 20 years, always worked well other than one time, I didn't have the scoop and guessed at dose, which wasn't enough, and didn't clear it up. I re-dosed and got it the second time.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:10 PM

Perhaps it is worth a try....Sounds too easy for this hobby...wait a second, is it $1000? lol
Old 06-20-2016, 03:18 PM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

chemi clean follow the directions works perfect every time used it a couple times need an issue basically the only chemical i trust in my tank
Old 06-20-2016, 03:28 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisco View Post
Perhaps it is worth a try....Sounds too easy for this hobby...wait a second, is it $1000? lol
maybe $10? Takes a few days, followed by a decent water change and a bag of carbon. Tilt the lid of your skimmer sideways, it will foam like crazy. This time next week, you'll be mad you didn't do this first
Old 06-20-2016, 06:24 PM

rsisvixen is on a distinguished road

I had cyno, but I went the slow natural route. Used a turkey baster to get the worst off rocks and sand once a week. Dosed a bit more with microbacter and 6 months down the line it is gone.

IMO Cyno is natures way of solving an issue, granted we don't like it, but its still doing something useful. And unless the root cause is fixed it will eventually be back as the treatments out there only solve the symptoms not the cause.

Chemilclean also depletes oxygen levels so if you have a lot of fish you might want to add airstones as an added safety net.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:47 PM

Animal-Chin is on a distinguished road

Chemi Clean is awesome but just a word of warning. The directions have you turn off your skimmer and filter to use it. I had a 55 gallon with 5 fish in it and after turning off my skimmer and canister filter and just having one circulation pump I lost 4 of my 5 fish over night. At first I thought it was because of the chemi clean but now thinking it may have been due to a quick drop in oxygen? Just heads up if you don't have a sump or really good oxygen exchange, you may want to get an air stone or something.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:07 PM
Just a guy..

The O2 thing is a concern, which is why I suggested just tilting the skimmer cup, keeps it foaming, but cup is by-passed and it just flows back into sump. Assuming it's an in sump skimmer. If not, do not do this