Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 09-09-2011, 05:13 PM

Cliff is on a distinguished road
Default LED Light Fixture Recommendation

I’m looking into up-grading my 6 bulb T5HO fixture with a LED fixture. I’ve been reading a ton of information on-line about them, and I think all I accomplished was to confuse myself even more.

I’m looking for a fixture that will be suited for a standard 120 gallon tank (48 X 24 X 24). I have mostly brains and soft corals with a two clams on the substrate. I’m thinking something with 100, 3W bulbs (1/2 white, ½ blue, or a 60/40 split)

Are there any fixtures you guys could suggest
Old 09-09-2011, 05:16 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Budget?
Old 09-09-2011, 05:17 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Tagging along
Old 09-09-2011, 05:18 PM

I really don't want to skimp on lighting, but I don't want to buy the most expensive out there either.

I'm looking for something $1000 or less.

If my budget is off, let me know
Old 09-09-2011, 05:43 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Your budget is off in terms of what I would consider decent fixtures with the wattage you're looking for. For example the Metis CRP2 would probably be enough for your tank but still 100W short of what you're asking for and that fixture is close to $2000. Same deal with vertex fixtures as well. Even a DIY project with that many LEDs is going to go over $1000.

Now there are cheaper alternatives that use lower end LEDs and lack some controllable features but I don't know much about them, personally don't think I'd recommend any of them but we'll see what others have to say.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

2x250w.

I'm sure you've seen these older diodes... they're quite massive but they're proven and you'd only need two =)
Old 09-09-2011, 05:47 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

For that price, I would look at modularled.ca's 4 foot tank DIY package. It includes 72 LED's which should be more than enough. I have the exact same size of tank as you and just did a tonne of research and found their package to be the best for my needs. There is some DIY involved, but no soldering which is what I wanted to avoid.

You will not be able to get a fixture in that price range for your tank. You will need at least $1600 to get a fixture for your tank that has no DIY involved. Some of the options are: Vertex Illumina 200 or 260, Maxspect Mazzara, Orphek, AquaIllumination Modular, and the new Ecotech Radion
Old 09-09-2011, 06:06 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

I really like the idea of the Ecotech Radions. But it says it is comparable to a 250W MH but also that 1 unit is for 40G. In my case I would need 3 of them. I really dont want to spend that much. Any thoughts on how just 2 would work? I've been PMing with another member who has some Ebay lights and they are just over $200/unit. Much cheaper than the "predicted" $825 Radions
Old 09-09-2011, 06:19 PM

Looks like I need to increase the budget

I'm going to look into the brands you guys have recommended

Thanks
Old 09-09-2011, 06:25 PM

TJSlayer is on a distinguished road

You could also look at the inwatter 48" unit - 240 watts. I have it on my 75 and still only run it @ 55%.

Doesn't have all the bells a whistles of some of the others, and still more than your budget but will provide you with the light you need
75G, 100 lbs LR, Inwatter Stingray LED's, 25 Gallon Sump, 24wt UV, hermits, Snails, pep, fire & cleaner shrimps, Blue Throat Trigger, Perc Clowns , Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, Blue Regal tang, RBTA, Coral Banded Shrimp, Checkerboard Wrasse, Many Corals, Royal Tux Urchin