Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 03-17-2007, 01:08 AM

marie is on a distinguished road
Talking

How far off on the ratings would you say they are. I think the skimmer you have is supposed to be rated for "up to 240g". would you use that skimmer on a larger tank?

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 03-17-2007, 02:24 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie View Post
How far off on the ratings would you say they are. I think the skimmer you have is supposed to be rated for "up to 240g". would you use that skimmer on a larger tank?
Not sure if I can answer, as its only been on a very light load 90. If I could have kept the 90 and increased the load as planned, I would have a better idea. So far, { I need more time with it}, I would not hesitate to use it on a tank larger than my 90 but dont know how much larger, {guess it would depend on load, corals & feedings}.

As mentioned, it skimmed as well as my Euroreef F-1 did and the largest tank I ran it on was a 170. Being as I have ran large skimmers on large tanks, I personally would not run a large tank now, without using a multiple pump needle wheel or a large beckett. Despite what many skimmers are rated for, they can compete with the water volume & foam generation of those skimmers.

But then the skimmer, pump & power cost is way higher. So far, {and again its early}, I prefer my Tunze for its cost, power consumption, ease of use & skimming, over any other comparable skimmers I have owned. Plus I,m hoping the Tunze quality and Turbelle pump longevity, come through as advertised.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Banned

andresont is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie View Post
Thanks Doug . I have a remora pro on my tank that is viewed from 3 sides and I wanted to replace it with something less ugly. It's a toss up between the deltec or the tunze.
If you like, i can post some pics of HOB Deltec running on My 60 gal tank.
Just PM me cause i dont keep track of thread postings.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:54 PM

Buddyboy is on a distinguished road

Hi Doug!

You got rid of your new 90G tank? What happened???

Also, can you post some pics of your new setup and the Tunze in the 20G sump whenever possible? I'm looking to setup something very similar. I was thinking i'd go with either a Tunze 9010, an AquaC Urchin or Deltec MC500 as they have a small footprint. A 20G sump doesn't give you alot of room to work with! Will you have a fuge in there as well?

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2007, 05:22 PM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

I added a sump to my 100 gallon set-up about 2 weeks ago and stuck my 9010 inside.

In my experience, placing the skimmer into the sump doubled it's output. I think I've only had mine a week longer than doug has (judging by his original post) and I'm thrilled with mine as well!

Oh yeah, as far as the rated size goes... if you check out the tunze website they give you a guide. This skimmer is only rated for 240 gallons if it's a softie tank, if you want to keep lps you gotta knock that number down (can't recall the percent) and if you want to keep sps they recommend knocking the number down to 60%

Last edited by Slick Fork; 03-17-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:36 PM
Rest In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddyboy View Post
Hi Doug!
You got rid of your new 90G tank? What happened???
Yea sad. To much water volume, {evaporation}, for our new place and just to large for the room its in. Running central exaust to much, {removing heat}, in the cold months. We shut down our 30g freshwater planted tank & downsized the reef. {Note- Make sure a new place has an HRV installed, as my last few did}.

Quote:
Also, can you post some pics of your new setup and the Tunze in the 20G sump whenever possible? I'm looking to setup something very similar. I was thinking i'd go with either a Tunze 9010, an AquaC Urchin or Deltec MC500 as they have a small footprint. A 20G sump doesn't give you alot of room to work with! Will you have a fuge in there as well?
Thanks!
I will do. I dont have much room under the stand, as it was not really sump designed. It will be covered, with exception of the skimmer, so no 'fuge. I will have a thread in the journal soon. All though I have not used the others you mentioned, I did read many threads related to them and decided the Tunze product was best for me.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Rest In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Fork View Post
I added a sump to my 100 gallon set-up about 2 weeks ago and stuck my 9010 inside.

In my experience, placing the skimmer into the sump doubled it's output. I think I've only had mine a week longer than doug has (judging by his original post) and I'm thrilled with mine as well!
Great to hear.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Rest In Peace

Since running it in the sump while my 30 was up and now back in my 50g tank while I repair the 30, I would have to say, mine skims much better in tank than in the sump, unless I had something not set right in the sump.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Rest In Peace

Just an update. I had seen a post on the Tunze forum, in regards to the bottom plate and sump use. I dont know if that was my problem or some other. However, while awaiting my cube, I took my Tunze apart and cleaned it, then put it back together for sump use, as per the pics in that thread.

I then placed it, sitting on some rock, in the holding tub, where my livestock is. Well, is it ever skimming. Perhaps the best I have seen it skim since its purchase.

I will take the sump pics, as soon as its set up that way.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Rest In Peace

Skimmer operation in the sump mode. This pic is several hrs after cleaning. I can dump between 100ml to 200ml per day, in my lightly loaded tub.