Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-13-2008, 06:29 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Here's what I did (cut from another post of mine). Would just add I put heaters in the tank just after setting up so was heating while acclimatizing the fish:

I moved my FOWLR 75g across town and had no problems but had the advantage of being able to have 80-90g of fresh heated SW available at the new house. Another plus, I was able to do it a few days before the house move so had lots of time. Really would have complicated things if I had to pack the couch etc at the same time.

Drained about 25g of the original tank water into 5g pails (one for fish). Put the LR into large plastic tubs, covered with tank water. Caught the fish and placed into one of the 5g pails. Was going to scoop up the top inch of the DSB to re-establish the new but decided to go BB so didn't bother. Drained and cleaned out the rest of the tank.

Once at the new place, set the tank back up, got it leveled then added the water from the pails, placed the LR, topped up with the SW I had waiting. Drained quite of bit of the water from the one pail with the fish then added water from the tank to acclimatize. Once acclimatized, added fish to tank. Topped the tank back up with the remaining mix.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:32 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

I used rubbermaids and garbage cans to store my livestock in when I tore down my 230g. Just make sure to clean them before use, a vinegar solution usually works. They would be a fine choice.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:51 PM

Funkytone is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the advice.

I got the new tank stand and sump so they're ready to go and I think I'm going to move all the fish/coral and keep them in two big rubbermaid bins for a few days until I get everything setup correctly.

I'm moving next weekend so I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks
-Tony