Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-05-2016, 03:00 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road
Question Using Carbon to Polish Water

I am currently running my 75 gallon bow front tank with a 30 gallon sump. I have my protein skimmer pulling a good amount of skimmate out of the water column, almost looks like dust particles
Old 12-05-2016, 03:03 AM

I am looking for anyone who has experience running a carbon reactor to polish the water for the "clear water". I am looking for the pro/cons of using carbon before I go out and acquire a reactor. Also looking for any suggestions on reactor and carbon media.

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-05-2016, 03:43 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

A reactor for carbon is a waste of money IMHO. If you have one kicking around, then fine. Just throw some fresh rinsed carbon in a mesh bag and chuck it in your sump. Easy and just as effective.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:48 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I've been using a minimal amount for the past decade that I change out monthly. One major issue with carbon is that you do not want it 'fluidized' (tumbling) in the reactor. If the media bounces around it will create fines which have been linked to HLLE Head and Lateral Line Erosion. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog...r-hlle-disease Aside from that risk it is a great product to increase water clarity and remove harmful compounds (especially for a mixed reef). Some critics complain that it also removes beneficial trace elements from the water. But for the average person those would be replenished through regular water changes.

ROX carbon seems to be the way to go these days. Its a little more expensive by weight but has greater surface area and is therefore more effective. There are lots of suitable reactors out there. The old Two Little Fishies design wasn't very good in my opinion so I've been using Bulk Reef Supply's for the last few years.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 12-05-2016, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
A reactor for carbon is a waste of money IMHO. If you have one kicking around, then fine. Just throw some fresh rinsed carbon in a mesh bag and chuck it in your sump. Easy and just as effective.
That was my plan if I didn't do the reactor was to do the mesh bag and refill. Thanks for your opinion.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
I've been using a minimal amount for the past decade that I change out monthly. One major issue with carbon is that you do not want it 'fluidized' (tumbling) in the reactor. If the media bounces around it will create fines which have been linked to HLLE Head and Lateral Line Erosion. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog...r-hlle-disease Aside from that risk it is a great product to increase water clarity and remove harmful compounds (especially for a mixed reef). Some critics complain that it also removes beneficial trace elements from the water. But for the average person those would be replenished through regular water changes.

ROX carbon seems to be the way to go these days. Its a little more expensive by weight but has greater surface area and is therefore more effective. There are lots of suitable reactors out there. The old Two Little Fishies design wasn't very good in my opinion so I've been using Bulk Reef Supply's for the last few years.
Thanks for all the information. I always see tanks with crystal clear water, I don't expect to have pristine water but a little more clear would make me happy. I saw the BRS reactor, couldn't figure out how to ship to Edmonton, AB so I gave up lol. But the Rox looked good and was reasonably priced, as well the reactor could mount in my cabinet.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:59 AM

sobe is on a distinguished road

I use a small mesh bag of granular sized activated carbon just under where my drain empties to the sump. I notice the water is clearer and doesn't have much of that fishy water smell. My 110 is running about close to 6 years now.. I have a yellow tang that is 11 years old doesn't have hlle that came from my old tank. As some people said gac can be a culprit in this disease in tangs

I just the fluval brand bulk gac, it rinses good, and price compared to other gac is good, I replace it every month I'd say about 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup in a mesh bag I use
Old 12-05-2016, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobe View Post
I use a small mesh bag of granular sized activated carbon just under where my drain empties to the sump. I notice the water is clearer and doesn't have much of that fishy water smell. My 110 is running about close to 6 years now.. I have a yellow tang that is 11 years old doesn't have hlle that came from my old tank. As some people said gac can be a culprit in this disease in tangs

I just the fluval brand bulk gac, it rinses good, and price compared to other gac is good, I replace it every month I'd say about 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup in a mesh bag I use
Thanks! I will definitely go that route an save some money. Looking forward to see how my water clarity comes along. I just finished a water change 2 days ago and I found my water to have a yellow tinge and fishy smell. I'm hoping this will eliminate most of this and give a nice clear appearance.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:48 PM

GQsmooth is on a distinguished road

Chemi pure blue works amazing
Old 12-06-2016, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQsmooth View Post
Chemi pure blue works amazing
Funny you say that, I just picked up a container of it and placed it in my sump. Fingers crossed that my water looks clear.