Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-26-2016, 05:20 PM

GQsmooth is on a distinguished road
Default Where to buy supplies?

Where do you guys buy your products? Whether it be food, skimmers, ro/di units, salt, etc?

As much as I like to support local, I find the prices kind of high, online seem to be the best place?
Old 11-26-2016, 06:34 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

reefsupplies.ca pretty much wins in most cases. Great selection, prices and awesome customer service.

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 11-26-2016, 07:04 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Reef Supplies and JL Aquatics is who I use online, both have good prices and service. I was using Amazon to get Aquaforest salt because they had free shipping but now they don't have it so local is still the cheapest way to buy salt unless you can get free shipping on it.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:07 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

FYI Aquarium Illusions has Reef Crystals salt on for $56 which is cheaper than the two online stores I mentioned.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:38 AM

GQsmooth is on a distinguished road

How about anything to do with plumbing, like PVC parts, valves, and or Spa flex hose?

Locally, HD, Lowes, and Rona have a terrible selection.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:46 AM

kyl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQsmooth View Post
How about anything to do with plumbing, like PVC parts, valves, and or Spa flex hose?

Do you have a Corix locally? They carry Spears fittings / gate valves / etc. Won't have spa flex, but check any local hot tub / swimming pool shop they should carry it.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:59 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Where do you guys buy your products? Whether it be food, skimmers, ro/di units, salt, etc?

As much as I like to support local, I find the prices kind of high, online seem to be the best place?
Before you resort to buying online, ask your local shop if they are willing to price match, or at least come close. Be tactful when you ask, and you may be surprised how much a local shop is willing to work with you. When it comes to equipment, it's nice to have your money spent locally so that they are willing to help you out when say, that return pump breaks down on a Friday afternoon or something.

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:23 PM

Tooboot is on a distinguished road

Quote:

go to specific contractor stores, they'll have what you need/are looking for and could possibly give you tips given they have, usually, more knowledge than the staff at the box stores.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:25 PM

Tooboot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Before you resort to buying online, ask your local shop if they are willing to price match, or at least come close. Be tactful when you ask, and you may be surprised how much a local shop is willing to work with you. When it comes to equipment, it's nice to have your money spent locally so that they are willing to help you out when say, that return pump breaks down on a Friday afternoon or something.
agreed. I would simply add: be honest with the retailer. I was getting salt from amazon too, until they jacked up the price and shipping was added. when I mentioned the old price to the retailer, they completely understood why I chose amazon rather than local. then ordered me the salt, since they didn't carry that brand in store, and gave me a 10% discount.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:00 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooboot View Post
agreed. I would simply add: be honest with the retailer. I was getting salt from amazon too, until they jacked up the price and shipping was added. when I mentioned the old price to the retailer, they completely understood why I chose amazon rather than local. then ordered me the salt, since they didn't carry that brand in store, and gave me a 10% discount.
Now that is a rock solid LFS! I like to hear stories of customer service as above ^.