Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 06-04-2015, 05:38 PM

Sasq40 is on a distinguished road
Default Which skimmer

Getting my new tank setup so im looking for a new skimmer.skimmer. Im hoping to be able to just get stuff locally or at least in canada. The dt is a 160g bowfront,with a 50g sump and 30g refuge. It will most likely be a medium to high bio load tank. The three skimmers that they have in stock at Aquarium Illusions are the eshop psk 200 & 300($454.99), and the bubble mag curve 7(299399). Will any of those be sufficient for my needs? I've also been eyeing up the Cad Lights Conic Protein Skimmer (TIA-1350) that jl has on for 399.99. Any input appreciated.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:12 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Did you check our buy and sell?
Old 06-04-2015, 06:14 PM

Yesh couldn't find anything I thought was big enough
Old 06-04-2015, 06:47 PM

clermont is on a distinguished road

I was going to buy the Cadlights from J and L and was advised not too due to them not being as well built. I ended up going with the reef Octopus Classic 150SSS and its great but I only have around 170 Gallons total water volume. It pulls some nasty from my tank and I pull a cup of skimmate every few days. I would consider my tank a high stocking level with 3 tangs and 8-9 smaller to medium size fish.
I would highly recommend this skimmer or anything built by reef octopus.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:29 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Agreed with the Reef Octopus. Great quality skimmers for a decent price.

If you're dead set of those 3 choices, i'd go with the Bubble Magus. Good skimmers for the money. I hate Eshopps skimmers. Never had an eshopps that I didn't have to constantly tune. Skimmate sucked as well.

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 06-04-2015, 11:37 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=114129
Old 06-04-2015, 11:40 PM

rsisvixen is on a distinguished road

I have a 175 G bow and I'm using the Coralbox DC700 ( petsandponds sells them ) super happy with it, easy to assemble and take apart and works like a charm, easy to dial in as well.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:15 AM

so many choices, ill look at the reef octupius 150, just not sure if it to small. Ive looked at that one a few times but its more then i want to spend, and id have to add shipping, i have a friend in edmonton picking up stuff for me, and jl does free shipping so trying to stick with those 2 options, how are the jns skimmers big als sell?
Old 06-05-2015, 05:26 AM

Skimmin is on a distinguished road

I have ROdc 200ext recirc running in sump. This thing is a beast. Awesome skimmer. In 9" of water set it on speed 4 with the outlet 90 turned facing up. Gate valve wide open and NEVER have to touch or adjust it. Next to my Vertex Alpha cone this is the absolute best skimmer I have ever owned. Total set it and forget it. I only say next to the Alpha Cone because the Alpha was soooo darn pretty, work wise I the RO takes the cake imo.
300 Gal 6x3x28 high Starphire peninsula w/external herbie/bean animal hybrid +150 Gal custom sump with 30gal fuge section, (both built by Concept Aquariums Calgary), 3x Ecotech Radion xr30w g2's(soon to be G3 Pros), Jebao DCT 12000 return pump, 2x Jebao RW 20 powerheads, Tunze Ato, Vertex ro/di, Reef Octopus Ext 200 skimmer run internally.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:11 AM

Stinktooth is on a distinguished road

Don't ever recommend the store but Aquarium central had a curve 9 instock a few days. They are in Edmonton.