Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Banned

Basile is on a distinguished road
Question Over doing the RO/DI

I'm having trouble choosing a RO/DI unit, its not a money issue its a practicle issue. I see 3-4-5-6-7 stage unit now. And some 7 stage unit are cheaper that than a 4 stage unit. So i'm perplex as what use is a 7 stage can actually provide than a 4 can't. To me its seems a waste of filters or an unecessary expense. Any advice on whats really important and whats not, because i'm lost, lol. Thanks for your time.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:41 PM

scuba ken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basile View Post
I'm having trouble choosing a RO/DI unit, its not a money issue its a practicle issue. I see 3-4-5-6-7 stage unit now. And some 7 stage unit are cheaper that than a 4 stage unit. So i'm perplex as what use is a 7 stage can actually provide than a 4 can't. To me its seems a waste of filters or an unecessary expense. Any advice on whats really important and whats not, because i'm lost, lol. Thanks for your time.
7 all the way for me, more is better.

Mud beaver ?
Old 09-02-2013, 01:26 PM

Cal_stir is on a distinguished road

I run 10 stages, dual membranes, 1 poly and 2 carbons pre-filter, and a booster pump, makes water fast.
My water is 280 ppm out of the tap though, I would base my decision on what the water quality is in your area and whether your municipality is using chloramine as a disinfectant.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Banned

Basile is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba ken View Post
7 all the way for me, more is better.

Mud beaver ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_stir View Post
I run 10 stages, dual membranes, 1 poly and 2 carbons pre-filter, and a booster pump, makes water fast.
My water is 280 ppm out of the tap though, I would base my decision on what the water quality is in your area and whether your municipality is using chloramine as a disinfectant.
I think you've just hit the nail right on the head, water quality in regions. Are water quality in my region is very good, no extra salts, or metals, no gas, no pollutions of any kind. Minimal use of chlorine. So regular RO/DI should suffice. Right now i'm looking at a MaxCap 90GPD RODI w/ dual tds, ASO and membrane flush by Spectrapure and it seems to fullfill that role with plenty of stages and options and at $300 it aint cheap, lol!
Old 09-02-2013, 01:58 PM

Evilweevil is on a distinguished road

0 ppm is 0 ppm as stupid as that sounds its the same 0 out of a 4 stage as a 0 from a ten stage although the d/I resin will probably last long on a ten stage unit but in the long run those filters cost you money also ....

I have a puratek system and highly recommend it ,simple and comes with all the bells and whistles http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/vt...+-+100GPD.html
Old 09-02-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilweevil View Post
0 ppm is 0 ppm as stupid as that sounds its the same 0 out of a 4 stage as a 0 from a ten stage although the d/I resin will probably last long on a ten stage unit but in the long run those filters cost you money also ....

I have a puratek system and highly recommend it ,simple and comes with all the bells and whistles http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/vt...+-+100GPD.html
Stupid as it sounds I started with 5 stages and was changing filters every couple months and was making water slowly, by adding pre-filter and DI stages and an extra membrane and booster pump my filters last 6 months and I make water really fast which is more efficient, stupid as it sounds.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:27 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

I have to agree with some of the above. If I had to buy another unit, knowing what I know now, I'd purchase a tds meter and test my water first, then decide what I need. I ended up buying a 4 stage with 2 stage DI unit thinking I should go big or go home. Turns out my city water comes in at 50-60 ppm. I'm reading 0 tds after my RO so my DI is pretty much useless.
Check what you have for tds first before you buy, would be my suggestion. Take into account too if where you live has a history of bad water I'm the spring and make your decision from there.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:33 PM

I wasn't taking a pot shot at you simmer down lol
Yes my first ro/di unit didn't last long either just a simple unit 4 stages no booster pump I don't think I got 4months out of it so I bought the new puratek with the booster pump and its been over 6months and a lot of water thru it and still going strong ..... I would recommend buying one with a booster pump though as it helps with giving the proper pressure for the filters
Old 09-02-2013, 02:42 PM

I run 10 stages because I have to not because I want to, my water is 280 ppm out of the tap, like daplatapus said, if your water is less than 50 ppm then a simple 3 or 4 stage unit would suffice.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:49 PM

My water is also up there t 250 something and yet it still comes out at zero and its the same zero thru my 5 stages as your 10 I am sure your system is great though an may last longer but for me and simplicity I will stick with the puratek or something simple like that