Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Old 02-09-2013, 07:43 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road
Default Pump suggestions

Im getting tired of lugging water jugs up from the basement for water changes. What would be a good pump to push water up a flight of stairs and around a couple of corners? Boyfriend won't let me cut holes in the walls and floors....
Old 02-09-2013, 08:18 PM

craigwmiller is on a distinguished road

I'm using a Mag 7 to pump from my water changes from the basement upstairs. Total distance on my setup is 8 feet vertical, plus another 15 feet horizontal. I do a 8-10 gallon water change, and the fill time is about 7-8-ish minutes.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:04 PM

Madmak is on a distinguished road

I was going to suggest a Mag 12 or bigger just for faster speed. You can also use the same pump to pump old water to the drain from the DT.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:15 PM

Thanks! I'm gonna try the the pump I use to pump out of the tank and see if that will work to pump up.....if my hose is long enough, I don't think it will be though.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:07 AM

Madmak is on a distinguished road

Home Depot or Lowes has flexible tubing for a decent price, well worth the money to save all that effort.

I did 50G water changes for a while with buckets that I hauled upstairs to dump, then filled with NSW, then pumped slowly back in to the DT, not fun.

This is what I do now:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87648
Old 02-10-2013, 06:33 AM

Mike-fish is on a distinguished road

I use a 1/2 submersible sump pump from Home Depot to transfer water it's also my tank move pump. I just have to run a fresh water flush through it after as it doesn't fare well to continuous saltwater exposure.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:44 AM

aquatechy is on a distinguished road
Default Double-up

Plumb two Mag's in series (one feeding into another), either 7 or 9.5. Same speed, usually 1.5 - 1.8x more pressure. (and don't plumb ANY aquarium pump in parallel ever, they're not designed for that)

In case you don't believe me:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pu...ial-d_636.html

On the other hand, if you want good quality pumps, go for Reeflo Pumps. Reeflo also recommends doing the same thing if you need more pressure. A bit fancy for your use, but reliable. Either way, make sure your plumbing fitting are solid, as higher pressure means even small holes may start dripping.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:57 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatechy View Post
Plumb two Mag's in series (one feeding into another), either 7 or 9.5. Same speed, usually 1.5 - 1.8x more pressure. (and don't plumb ANY aquarium pump in parallel ever, they're not designed for that)

In case you don't believe me:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pu...ial-d_636.html

On the other hand, if you want good quality pumps, go for Reeflo Pumps. Reeflo also recommends doing the same thing if you need more pressure. A bit fancy for your use, but reliable. Either way, make sure your plumbing fitting are solid, as higher pressure means even small holes may start dripping.
Is that a typo or are you suggesting you can't plumb pumps in parallel?
Old 02-10-2013, 03:09 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

It depends on how much water you're moving. A MAG 5 might pump it that high, but how fast? I do 50g changes using a MAG 12 on the same floor, and that makes me impatient.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmak View Post
Home Depot or Lowes has flexible tubing for a decent price, well worth the money to save all that effort.

I did 50G water changes for a while with buckets that I hauled upstairs to dump, then filled with NSW, then pumped slowly back in to the DT, not fun.

This is what I do now:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87648
That's a sweet set up you have! Do you have 2 controllers on your system then, one for your wc and one for your tank? I have a controller on my 180 only.

I was thinking of having a switch by one tank to turn the pump on and off so I can do the water changes without help - someone watching the tank and someone to turn off in the basement.

I think finding some kind of better way for water changes would make them more consistent.