Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 04-29-2019, 05:54 PM

jords is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGreat View Post
I see this post is a bit old, but for anyone else seeing this I had a similar problem with a blue chromis a few days ago and the infection spread to my other fish. The host chromis and a clown died before I could do anything about it. Then I dropped some Jungle Fungus Clear into the tank and it seemed to stop the progression of the disease. Now the fish are getting better, minus some loss of tail fin length.

I may be wrong, but isn't Jungle Fungus Clear for freshwater use only? (or at least, I've never seen it marketed to saltwater, or heard before of it being used - but, I've definitely been wrong before!)

I'm sad to hear you had 100% loss. I have accepted it was uronema, but I've been very lucky in that I have had no other infections since this. I have even added two new members to the tank (a black and white occ. clown and a twin spot goby) and all has been well since this original chromi (I still have the others as well which are perfectly fine).
Old 05-01-2019, 02:00 AM

LifeIsGreat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jords View Post
I may be wrong, but isn't Jungle Fungus Clear for freshwater use only? (or at least, I've never seen it marketed to saltwater, or heard before of it being used - but, I've definitely been wrong before!)

I'm sad to hear you had 100% loss. I have accepted it was uronema, but I've been very lucky in that I have had no other infections since this. I have even added two new members to the tank (a black and white occ. clown and a twin spot goby) and all has been well since this original chromi (I still have the others as well which are perfectly fine).
I read on some other forum that people have used Fungus Clear in saltwater, and it was all I had at the time so I gave it a whirl. It didn't solve my problem, but nothing was injured: coral, crabs, snails, anemone, macro algae are all fine. How are the new fish doing? I've heard that uronema stays in the tank without a host fish.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:54 AM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGreat View Post
I've heard that uronema stays in the tank without a host fish.
Uronema is a “free living” parasite which does not require a fish host. So, going fallow will not eradicate it. Most fish seem protected from it via their natural immune system. There is a possibility that Metronidazole may work. At certain concentrations it is apparently reef safe.

Likely the only way to manage the pest now is to have healthy fish, low stress, and high biological diversity. Avoid Chromis. Unfortunately adding fungicides or antibiotics (metro) to your tank will not help with the diversity.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:39 AM

LifeIsGreat is on a distinguished road

If you spot the horrible uronema disease in the first day you can possibly beat it with this method.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:10 AM

scilover is on a distinguished road
Default Uronema marinum

Looks like your green chromis had uronema marinum as there are red sores seen on the chromis. Well, its a bit hard to treat but there possible treatments such as Metronidazole, acriflavine, Chloroquine phosphate and copper. But then I suggest you to put your fish on different tank a week or two.