Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 05-05-2010, 09:13 PM

catchandrelease is on a distinguished road

I dont get it, my amonia levels are still zero. Either the rock that came from an established tank is eliminating the cycle, or there is nothing in the tank to bring up amonia levels.
What should I do?
Old 05-05-2010, 09:57 PM

kevNnic is on a distinguished road

it took my tank about 10 days to even notice any ammonia at all. But im not using all live rock, i do have some dry rock as well. My nitrates and nitrates have remained at zero though. I have heard upwords of two weeks for your ammonia to spike. Just give it a little more time and than test again.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:47 PM

Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do for water movement in the tank, i need to do something more than the one powerhead eventually. Id love to do an MP20 or something like that for the clean look. But unfortunately between my tank and truck repairs im starting to keep my wallet in my pocket a little more.
Id like to hear some suggestions, and whatever i get has to be on the back glass, i cant put any powerheads on the side glass.
If it comes down to spending the cash on something like an mp10/20/40, could i do a mp10 on either side of the back pane?
give me your thoughts, thanks.
Scott
Old 05-07-2010, 01:23 AM

rjengen is on a distinguished road

Have you thought about running a couple of these in your tank? I know they are not the nicest looking things in the world...but it would get the job done, and if you decide to go with the MP10 down the road, they are fairly easy to sell and get some of you money back

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/hy...50+GPH%29.html
Old 05-07-2010, 01:48 AM

Ya that was some thing i had considered was to run two cheaper powerheads until i decide what i want for good. But if i can make up my mind right away it will save me the cost of the cheaper ones...I like to save money lol
Old 05-07-2010, 02:17 AM

rjengen is on a distinguished road

I might have missed it, what are you running for a return pump...and how are you running it? I split my return into two lines, and run lockline from the PVC plumbing with the 3" flare nozzles...it works pretty good as well...and I'm sure kevin has some kicking around I think if you're already looking at the MP line, then you're going to buy it down the line sometime. I was cheap when I started out on some stuff...and now 8 months later I am replacing it with the stuff I was looking at in the first place, and I'm starting to collect a bunch of stuff...food for thought I guess
Old 05-07-2010, 06:12 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

one thing about the koralias is the the magnet on the dry side is only 1/4" thick which means you can mount it pretty much anywhere(I have one mounted to the overflow box with the dry side submerged).....but if you want sheer water movement,adjust-ability and bling factor, then vortech
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 05-07-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjengen View Post
I might have missed it, what are you running for a return pump...and how are you running it? I split my return into two lines, and run lockline from the PVC plumbing with the 3" flare nozzles...it works pretty good as well...and I'm sure kevin has some kicking around I think if you're already looking at the MP line, then you're going to buy it down the line sometime. I was cheap when I started out on some stuff...and now 8 months later I am replacing it with the stuff I was looking at in the first place, and I'm starting to collect a bunch of stuff...food for thought I guess

Im running a 700GPH return pump split into two lines as well. They go into the small 1" loc-line nozzles.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:23 AM

Default New equipment and livestock

Well its been a while since my last update, a few things have been added to the tank. Tank has finished cycling, the ammonia spike I had was very minimal followed by the same with nitrite and nitrate.

I found two very healthy looking clownfish at big als when i was in there for my FW tank and could not resist, they were brought in by someone who was shutting down their tank and were already paired up.

Ive had two of these blue leg crabs in there from just after it was set up.

I got this little guy a few days ago to get the sand moving around, it did a great job of making itself a cave in one of my rocks, and moving about one cup of sand on top of it in about 10 minutes. Since then i rarely see it out of there. Id like to see it moving around more often but unfortunately its quite shy, I hope it gets a little more comfortable and starts moving around the tank.

While i was in buying the goby i decided i may as well try out a little coral and see what happens, so i picked up a ric about the size of my thumbnail, since putting it in my tank it has spread out a little and colored up nicely, I am quite suprised how well it settled in for my first ever coral.

I also found this for sale from another member on canreef, couldnt help but buy it and the two controllable koralias from him. Unfortunately they are small koralias and Im now in the morket for a few bigger ones but i still think it was a good deal.

So let me know what your guys think, feedback is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by catchandrelease; 05-26-2010 at 05:34 AM.