Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 10-20-2013, 05:32 PM

cbrine is on a distinguished road
Default Salt reviews??

I had receintly obtained a open brain coral, it was not in the best of health. I knew my ca was a little low (360-400 at best) and same with my pH 8.0.
Ive maintained my sal @ 1.025, temp at 78, no2-0, no3-0, kh-9, PO-0, nh-0.
After placing said coral in my QT noted it wasn't bouncing back as well as the suncoral was. After checking a few forums tried testing my Mg. got a test kit and found my QT- 950, and my DT-1000. I use IO, and since I am almost done (maybe another months worth) I am looking at changing my salt mix. Research on the net has given me some options to consider coralife salt seems to be the top runner since most users found they did not need to supplement ca/kh or mg.
I was also looking at Aquavitro Salinity (gotta admit it's really nice that they have mineral content printed on the side so you know at x SG you will have xyz minerals).
THOUGHTS?! Good/bad/ugly..I want to hear it all.
Really don't want to dose so I'm happy if I can get balanced salt without the need. Plus most salt is on sale...so $49 a bucket isn't bad!
Old 10-20-2013, 05:50 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

You need to dose for almost every salt if the system needs to be dosed. If a system needs to be dosed with IO, it will need to be dosed with salinity, h2ocean and every brand of salt. Its just that, with IO for example, you will have to dose the initial water mix to bring up the parameters.

Many reefers use IO with success. That's one brand of salt which cannot be argued above. Rest of the brands are just personal preferences. I have used salinity and I was happy with one batch but unhappy with other. They are notoriously famous for being inconsistent from batches to batches. Among the high end salts, reefers best and H2ocean seems to be the most consistent ones.

Like I said, in the end, its just personal preference. If you tank has a high intake of elements, you will have to dose.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 10-20-2013, 06:08 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Hmm that's a good topic for a poll. I think there might have been one already though. I'm not sure. Maybe try that search option the site has
Old 10-20-2013, 06:10 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Hmm that's a good topic for a poll. I think there might have been one already though. I'm not sure. Maybe try that search option the site has
Only one? Even the search gets exhausted while searching for that

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 10-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Hmm that's a good topic for a poll.
Bill, can you arrange that? I'd start one, but then I'd have to eat my own head..
Old 10-20-2013, 07:09 PM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default salt

the salt i use is seachem reef-the only thing i have to dose is mg.there was a breakdown on different salt brands on 1 reef about 6-8 months ago
Old 10-20-2013, 11:13 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Don't trust the analytical in salinity. It's not what they claim. I've dealt with them on this and they are stubborn to remedy it.

On any salt test the first few batches from any new bucket. All brands have there fans. As Raied said. Each to there own. I choose reefers best but also know if great tanks using io
Old 10-21-2013, 12:53 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I use H2Ocean and Reef Crystals with great success. Having a high SPS load I do still have to dose Alk and Calc but never dose mag. It really dose depend on your tank's uptake of the various chemicals. If your tank doesn't consume as much all or Calc you can probably get away with the higher level salts.

Best thing to do is pick one and try it out. You'll know fairly quickly if the levels in the bucket are adequate for your tank needs.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:15 AM

AdamsB is on a distinguished road

I was using fluval salt, I recently switched to kent marine salt and after finishing the 200G batch I've come to love it. Getting great results on my sps frags, fast recovery and growth.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:11 AM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

I use fluval because it has a higher calcium than most. I dont seem to have to dose anything with it as long as i do regular water changes. And coral growth is great.

Tags
coralife, instant ocean, salt mix, salt review