Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-20-2013, 12:10 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road
Default Eheim dual feeder feeds to much? What food you using?

Just got the Eheim dual feeder. And I'm feeding small New Life sprectrum pellets and I think it feeds WAY to much Any tips?

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 04-20-2013, 12:38 AM

Stinktooth is on a distinguished road

You could try cutting the pellets in half. I use the single eheim feeder, halfing the pellets and adjusting the sliding door worked for me.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:34 AM

Cutting all my little 1mm pellets in half? Dont think so. I have the feeder your talking about, but it went swimming and fried the motor. The Eheim Dual feeder usues auger feed mechanism and seems to feed X amount per rotation., No adjusting that I can see

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 04-20-2013, 06:13 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Dan, you could try putting a piece of tape over the door, so the hole is half the size

I plan on buying one of these soon, and have read much online about this complaint, but haven't yet tried it out

I've also read that the door is easy to bump, so watch it when you're playing with it as you can easily overfeed
Old 04-20-2013, 03:27 PM

Rogue951 is on a distinguished road

Do you have an overflow? I find when feeding small pellets they just sit on the surface and eventually go down the drain. Which is why I never bothered with an auto feeder.
I usually soak them in a cup then use a baster to put them under water.
That being said... my tank is a 40 breeder so it doesn't take long to get to the overflow.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:37 PM

allie_san is on a distinguished road

They do sell .5 mm pellets.
How much is spitting out each time? I was thinking of getting one of these..

For now, when I'm feeding by hand I figured out that if you throw them with a little force at the surface, they start sinking immediately. No soaking required. Took me a few months to figure that out.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:47 PM

The Pellets I use are sinking. And the feeder feeds enough for a feeding. But it's BAM All at once and theres like 150 pellets all racing for the tank bottom. No time for fish to even know, Hey, it's feeding time.... If it could drop 5-10 pellets at a time, that would be sweet. Do that over 15 min. every 15 sec would be awesome.

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 04-20-2013, 04:04 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I've had the Eheim dual feeder for some years & yes, it's a bit of a conumdrum with respect to feed amounts between pellets, flakes & other types of food. I find it doesn't feed larger flakes very well and as you've experienced, tends to dump a good load of pellets per feeding if that's all that's in the hopper.

While the dual chamber design is a great idea & lends itself to using each chamber for a different type of food, I've found that it's best to mix flakes & pellets together in the same chamber. I used to use pellets in one chamber & flakes, dried shrimp in the other when I first got it, but had the same experience as you with too many pellets dropping per feeding. Now I fill each chamber with a spoonful of flakes first (poke the large ones down between the auger screws with a toothpick), then a few pellets, another layer of flakes & so on 'til it's about full. What ends up happing over the time period it takes to empty the chamber, is the pellets tend to migrate to the bottom of the chamber past the flakes & you'll still get a bunch of them hitting the water at that time. However, if you refill the chamber the same way before it gets too empty, this effect is minimized.

I've also made an HOS acrylic mount for my feeder which holds it on the side of the tank & at a slight tilt to help the 'large' flakes come out. The mount features a rectangular extension that goes below the water line allowing flakes & other food that may float into an overflow to soak & sink minimizing that issue. I've posted photos of the rig on the odd thread, if you'd like some pics lmk & I'll put some up here as well.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:05 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue951 View Post
Do you have an overflow? I find when feeding small pellets they just sit on the surface and eventually go down the drain. Which is why I never bothered with an auto feeder.
I usually soak them in a cup then use a baster to put them under water.
That being said... my tank is a 40 breeder so it doesn't take long to get to the overflow.
All you need is a feeding ring, available for a few $$s at most any LFS, or diy one, not that difficult.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:08 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
If it could drop 5-10 pellets at a time, that would be sweet.
Maybe this thing would work for you ... fish mate f14

You decide how much to put in each compartment, instead of it rolling past a hopper door