Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-25-2014, 10:03 PM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road

Any time i've gone to "correct" a bad PH I've had bad results, the most recent pretty much nuked all my sps. So I bought another PH test kit and did my old one and new one side by side, one at 6.5, the other one at 11PH. Obviously a bad reading, so re-did tests few times, still same results, bought a third PH test to see what one is right, and it said 8. So now I don't touch my PH at all, ever. Tanks been great since, never dosing again, also never trusting thousands of dollars of corals to a test kit either.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:20 PM

Treebeard is on a distinguished road

If you opened your windows for more than a few minutes in S'toon this time of year you would be scraping the frost of the fish tank to see your fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Better air exchange near the sump can make a big difference as well as airing the house out a few times per week by opening a couple windows and allowing a breeze to go through for awhile. Try this before messing around with the pH directly. If you're messing around with the pH directly you're very likely casing pH swings which stress the inhabitants more by leaps and bounds.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:59 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road
Default Adjusting pH

As a well known mod has said before here,...LITFA!!
Old 02-25-2014, 11:00 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
words to live by!!
Old 02-25-2014, 11:14 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Here's the thing about pH. It's stubborn. It sits where it sits in your tank for a reason. The environmental acids in your tank (from CO2, NHx, fish droppings, etc) all contribute to drive it lower than natural reefs. This can't be helped much, other than more regular water changes, bigass skimmers, fresh air feeds, etc. The problem is compounded by inaccurate measuring. Most probes, unless freshly cleaned and calibrated, are going to give false readings. Titration kits get thrown off as soon as you move the water into the testing vial.
Now the next thing that happens, the hobbyist freaks out at the 7.9 reading and tries to chemically adjust. But the tank is happy where it is, and tries to stay there. Yup, more chemicals This becomes a cycle of insanity with the tank (water) generally winning. The tank inhabitants often suffer a bit more. Sometimes a lot more.
If your tank says 7.8, or 8.4, or whatever, and there is no glaring problem with the tank, leave it alone. You'll likely do more harm than good, trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist. As for PO4 leaching because the pH "says" it's a bit lower than a natural reef, not gonna happen. If the PO4 is leaching, you just have too much in the tank. It's not a pH thing.
IMO, pH is the last thing a hobbyist should test for. I know some people like to test, so test for NO3 instead. If you have some, it's much easier to fix, and will give you results you can see.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:30 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
That should have an emoticon of its own! Canreef exclusive I would say...

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 02-25-2014, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
That should have an emoticon of its own! Canreef exclusive I would say...
Yup, and can be applied to so many situations.... And since the creator has mod control, am sure he could add it to the side here. Looking forward to see what it looks like!!... hahaha.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:51 AM

dudley moray is on a distinguished road

Well I'm not loosing any sleep over my ph I'm happy it's over 7 for that matter it's over 8 but I know the skimmers efficiency is better at higher ph and the phosphate thing as for dosing like I said earlier I only do water changes and a tiny bit of three part in the make up water I'm not one to chase numbers I'm just trying to find out if I'm over looking something or if this inability to get my ph higher than 8.06 has some correlation to my phosphate level or if someone else has noticed an issue with the salt I'm using possibly not measuring up to their guaranteed analysis
Old 02-26-2014, 01:09 AM

Phosphates are an ongoing battle, even with the most experienced reefers. Only real solution is get a suitable reactor and run GFO, RowaPhos or other similar phosphate remover. For initial set ups or really high phosphates, Foz Down works well. Then once it is down to near zero, use GFO or similar to maintain. Of course, you still have to keep your tank clean and don't overfeed.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:56 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley moray View Post
Well I'm not loosing any sleep over my ph I'm happy it's over 7 for that matter it's over 8 but I know the skimmers efficiency is better at higher ph and the phosphate thing as for dosing like I said earlier I only do water changes and a tiny bit of three part in the make up water I'm not one to chase numbers I'm just trying to find out if I'm over looking something or if this inability to get my ph higher than 8.06 has some correlation to my phosphate level or if someone else has noticed an issue with the salt I'm using possibly not measuring up to their guaranteed analysis
I highly doubt such small ph difference will have any sort of impact on skimmer efficiency. When the air being pulled into the water has lack of oxygen, then maybe there will be an impact. But I am pretty sure that such deficiency of oxygen level will make the room inhabitable for human try battling the phosphate and not the ph.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob