Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-19-2014, 02:37 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

Reticulating shop vac, Getting the water back in the tank part has been redneck engineered but still working on an easy way to get the sand back into the tank. I guess that's why I have a bare bottom tank!!!!
Old 03-19-2014, 02:47 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

I'm seriously considering just siphoning off 2" of the sand and letting yet another golden head work on what's left. I love the look of the DSB but it's getting too ugly to maintain and I'm sure that's what's keeping my phosphates high. I have some livestock that depend on the sand bed otherwise I'd consider just going down to the egg crate bottom...
Old 03-19-2014, 02:49 PM

Masonjames is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer Rob View Post
Insert syphon directly into the sand bed with a strong flow. Work until all sand is removed. Repeat as needed. Sit back and watch as the nutrient levels in your tank drop.
Well spoken! +1 to that ; )
Old 03-19-2014, 03:02 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I've wanted to remove my sand many times. It's only there for my two leopard wrasses and I've actually pushed the sand so it's entirely contained in the back middle of my tank so only about half of my tank has a sandbed.

I re-homed my watchman goby and have never had a CUC so some form of sand maintenance is required hence my regular turkey bastings of the sand but some direct removal needs to be added to my routine.

getting a full length siphon tube under my rock tower and past my corals will be tough. I'm going to slice my siphon tube in half to allow for this. If that still doesn't work I'll grab a spatula.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XbCWmY0eqY
Old 03-19-2014, 03:16 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

i like my sand white and my men dark. I tried to vote but the option for dark was not there. Whats up with that?
Old 03-19-2014, 03:29 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I do two things. If there is a lot of detritus buildup I might use something to stir up the sand and then siphon out what comes up. In some cases I just siphon some of the sand right out and depending on how well it rinses clean at the sink I either put it back or just toss it out. Every so often I'll top up with new sand.

Disclaimer: I only do this in my smaller tank. In my larger tank the sand gets shifted around by the pumps and also has a VERY productive diamond goby. If I stir the sand up in there, nothing comes out, it's always clean. I am guessing it is the sand shifting in the current and the goby that is the explanation. Every so often I have to scoop up sand from the back and replace it at the front.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:46 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
i like my sand white and my men dark. I tried to vote but the option for dark was not there. Whats up with that?
Have you ever tried dark sand?
Old 03-19-2014, 03:52 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
I am actually doing the dirty thing right now.
Without pics, didn't happen.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:54 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Ok, back on track. What was I talking about? Oh ya. Sand. Wayne uses an Eheim vacuum, apparently works well. Since I can't remove sand, I may try this.
I'll leave a bed of sugar sand in the back for the wrasse, but so far really happy with the special grade. It's still where I left it last night.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:02 PM

Trevor W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
...but so far really happy with the special grade. It's still where I left it last night.
I also really liked the special grade sand, no sand storms just some random spots that would "dune" but not enough to make it bare in spots. Sand bed was only 1.5-2".

On another note, not sure if it was mentioned here or not but I have also heard of people taking a plastic fork and attaching it to the end of a syphon and raking the sand to lift the detritus which then gets sucked up by the syphon. I have personally never done this but in theory it sounds like a good solution.