Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-13-2010, 04:29 PM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road

Not too much to update really....I go home on Wednesday so I don't think anything will be added to the tank until I get back in March....also means this thread probably wont be updated much either...ah well. I've got the apprentice schooled in how to change water, what to feed and when etc...

But...the Joker zoanthids are taking off...seriously. There's 6 new polyps that I can see since I've put them in the tank....2 new polyps on the Red People Eaters too...so must be doing something right. The undata has grown some it's starting to spread onto the frag disc....who knew....I literally have done next to nothing in terms of dosing (just regular weekly water changes)

FTS NOV 13

horrible photo of the new addition
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:39 PM

edit....also picked up 2 plugs of GSP and a Polyp of Candycane Coral
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:00 PM

Ernie just took these on his phone and sent them to me to show me that he's not effing up the tank...his words, not mine:

RPEs...there's two more polyps growing, but you can't really see in the photo

Joker Zoas, you can already see the new polyps starting to cover the frag disk:

Little tiny disc of GSP...this thing didn't open for 2 days and I was getting mad...then I leave and boom, open and doing well:

^^^^That blur in the bottom corner would be the kole tang...doesn't zoom around the tank often, just at a nice, chill pace until you try and get a picture of him...then he's gone.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:39 PM

Water Params:
SG 1.024
Temp 79-80*F
Ammonia:0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: less than 10 ppm

Problem: all but one fish (chromis) dead. All inverts thriving and coral growing like a weed.

10% water change done once a week
Old 12-20-2010, 10:55 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Sorry to hear. Ouch.

All at once or gradual? Symptoms? Basically I think this comes down to either disease in which case you'd think there be some lead-up to the event; or there was somehow a lack of O2 and they asphyxiated.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Sorry to hear. Ouch.

All at once or gradual? Symptoms? Basically I think this comes down to either disease in which case you'd think there be some lead-up to the event; or there was somehow a lack of O2 and they asphyxiated.
seemingly gradual, like over the course of a couple weeks. After the Kole died I had them test the water, params were good save for the salt was through the roof...because dip wit 17 year old WHO I TOLD NOT TO TOUCH THE TANK EVER was adding a cup of salt instead of the 1/2 cup. So they slowly brought it down over the course of a week with daily water changes.

Then, dipstick 17 year old turned the vortech up to 100% to show her stoner friends and never turned it back down, causing a sandstorm. So they shut it off for a couple days. But I don't think the lack of vortech would cause the oxygen to decrease to such an excent it would off everyone. With the return pump and the closed loop there's still lots of water movement.

In terms of symptoms, Ernie said there was no white spots or rabid breathing...no sparadic swimming etc. It was literally they were fine and swimming around/eating etc...and then started dying off.

He's getting a guy from the local LFS to come take a look at the tank tomorrow, but I"m at a loss
Old 12-20-2010, 11:31 PM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

That sucks.. The guys who are doing the water top offs do understand that they use fresh water?

Stirring the sand up can cause problems.. Maybe a combo of that and the sg being out of whack tresses the fish?

Also make sure they aren't using windex to clean the glass.. Also I bet there are few alcohol spray bottles around the shop too... Make sure they aren't using that as glass cleaner. Only vinegar
Old 12-21-2010, 12:07 AM

yeah, I mentioned all that to Ernie...same with the "make sure any incense garbage you guys are burning aren't close to the tank"....I'm thinking it's a combo of the high salinity and the sandstorm, but who knows. and it's kinda hard to tell a guy that the reason he's lost all his fish is more than likely because of his stoner, waste of skin daughter ha ha ha ah well.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:27 PM

OMG NEW PHOTOS!!!!!!

Everything has returned back to normal (still no idea what caused the mass death, but I have my suspicions). Anyways. Tank is doing great, maintaining at a steady 77 degrees, crystal clear and readings are where they should be! Surviving fish are one Chromis (whom I've decided to name Bill) and the Wrasse was found in the back of the overflow, still alive and doing well, just hanging out back there. The LFS will be going over there one day this week with a fishtrap to try and get it out...just glad that little fella is still around, thats one pretty fish.

Anyway...photos! (keep in mind these are all on a camera phone...a Droid2 to be exact)

The FTS. I am STOKED with how good the rocks look right now. They're starting to get some coraline on them and are nice and ...rock looking??? Anyways..they are good....also note the Coral Banded is still doing fantastic..easily the crowd pleaser of the tank as it is right now:

The Hammer Coral (Photo was taken when the vortech was on the high cycle in the random mode) I assure you it is alot more full looking:

Frogspawn:

Torch (purchased only one head begining of November. Started with it mid way up in the tank and it has since been moved to the bottom, already splitting):

Joker Zoas (starting to grow on rockwork):

Alien Eye Chalice (Started with 1.5 mouths..now has at least 6 and is starting to overtake the frag disc)....the other chalice is doing just as well (Ernie counted 8 mouths on it), but it is in a hard spot to take a picture of:

Undata (growing slowly but surely...almost off the one side of the disc):

2 small plugs of GSP were put on the left hand side of the tank, on their own little rock so as to not overtake anything and still hit a good chunk of current for motion...they're just about to start growin on the rocks (purchased my last day in Jersey, with only a couple small polyps in the center of each disc):

wham!
Old 02-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Glad to hear it's doing well even without your direct guidance!