Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-28-2014, 03:11 AM

jason604 is on a distinguished road
Default My doser came in today =)

Man I'm very impressed with how fast my marine magic doser came in from Hong Kong. I ordered it last Monday and its already here

Overall I'm pretty impressed with how it looks and their A+++ customer service. I bargained with him n pretty much any1 that orders it that uses this forum will get free extra tubing, a extra motor, extra internal tubing and he will label it as gift with low value so we won't have to pay custom fees. It was 169$ usd shipping included so came up to n around 191$ Canadian. Can someone help me to find out how much cal and alk I need to dose daily? For cal I've been using purple up and alk is the searchem alk buffer.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:44 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

always nice when christmas comes again so soon.

You can continue to dose the same amounts of purpleup and seachem if working okay for you just spread out during the day or here's a link to the DIY 2 part dosing recipe and table 1 for suggested amounts.

Last edited by mark; 01-28-2014 at 04:48 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:05 AM

Baldy is on a distinguished road

ive been using a marine magic doser for around 2 years now. it has worked awesome for me. just a heads up, extra internal tubing for the pump is definately a good thing to get. the other weekend i noticed my alk starting to drop and noticed that the doser had plugged off and was wearing on the tubing for a while now. no biggie as the replacement pumps are $13, but i wish i had some spare tubing to replace it with.

for the money, its well worth it.

75g reef w/ 20g sump, 100lbs LR, Tunze 9006 skimmer, 3 part dosing, DIY 66 LED fixture, Reefleeper Lite
LED build here: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/29498...h-mount-build/
Old 01-28-2014, 03:58 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Here's info that was posted in a thread I had on dosing. You need to know how much of ca, mag and alk you are going through in a day/week in order to properly dose. So before doing anything, test over the next few days and see where things are at. Great advise below!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChizerBunoi View Post
Have you figured out how much to dose to maintain your water parameters? Pick any time of day and do your water tests for all 3 (CAL, ALK and Magnesium). Go on the bulkreefsupply website and use their calculator to find out what you need to dose to raise your parameters back to normal levels. Dose your tank manually.

Now the next day do another test at the same time as the day before. Whatever the difference is, that will be your maintenance dose. Then depending on what is low (most likely ALK), increase it in equal parts. If you need to dose 15ML to raise the ALK up 1 dKH then make sure you dose the same amount for CAL. In the morning dose Calcium and in the evening Dose Alkalinity.

Keep at that pace for the next 3 days and then do another water check at that same time. Once the test results confirmed that your water parameters are that level that you want, it should be stable. Then setup your auto doser according to what you have it set for.

Every two weeks, do another water test and adjust your maintenance dose accordingly. If you do large water changes of 20% or more, your ALK will raise accordingly. This could STN or RTN some of your SPS corals. So my advice is to keep your ALK at a higher level not at 7 dKH.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:09 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

If you already keep params up by say dosing 4 cap fulls of purple up then you know roughly you use 20ml per week so you dose 20 ml spread over 7 days.

I dose anywhere from 180 to 200 ml per day of cal so I spread it out over 20x in a 12hr period, my alk and mg dosed at the same time frame but on the next 12 hr period.

So this is my dosing chart:
10am-10pm Ca 180ml
12am-8am Alk 160ml
11pm-8am Mg 170ml

And as the OP said test every 3 days to make sure everything is bang on for first week, if it is test weekly then BI weekly and so forth.....

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 01-28-2014, 05:49 PM

I normally just put in 1 cap of purple up whenever I remember to like once every week. What is the optimum cal and alk I should keep in order for best sps growth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
If you already keep params up by say dosing 4 cap fulls of purple up then you know roughly you use 20ml per week so you dose 20 ml spread over 7 days.

I dose anywhere from 180 to 200 ml per day of cal so I spread it out over 20x in a 12hr period, my alk and mg dosed at the same time frame but on the next 12 hr period.

So this is my dosing chart:
10am-10pm Ca 180ml
12am-8am Alk 160ml
11pm-8am Mg 170ml

And as the OP said test every 3 days to make sure everything is bang on for first week, if it is test weekly then BI weekly and so forth.....
Old 01-28-2014, 06:28 PM

ashr is on a distinguished road

Which seller did you use? I would like to get a back up motor as I have all ready went through my first one about a year ago. Has worked great ever since but it is good to have a back up.

Ashr's Tank Journal
Old 01-28-2014, 06:40 PM

ashr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashr View Post
Which seller did you use? I would like to get a back up motor as I have all ready went through my first one about a year ago. Has worked great ever since but it is good to have a back up.
Never mind, looks like I found it

Ashr's Tank Journal
Old 01-28-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashr View Post

http://www.marinemagic-online.com/about_us.html
Amazing customer service. He replies to all my emails right away.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:46 AM

guys im in need of some dosing help lol.. im trying to increase my alk thats currently at 7kh to 8kh. tested for 7kh then i used the recommended dose of the seachem reef builder kh additive of 250ml of RO with half a teaspoon of the additive. 1 hr later i tested water and it still showed 7kh on the salifert test kit.... same with CA mine was at 350 i wanna raise to 420 and used 1 cap full of purple up and it still shows 350... wtf is going on? Tried the BRS calculator but they dont use the same chems i do... i needa get my params to a stable desirable lvl b4 i can use my auto doser..