Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-09-2013, 11:17 PM

JmeJReefer is on a distinguished road
Default Tips for moving a tank/livestock

As the house nears completion (new build), I gotta start a gameplan to move my tank.

As it stands now, its a DIY 9 gallon cube, mainly zoas, acans, gorgonians, softies.

Wut would the most efficient way to dismantle and transport everything?

I have it sorta planned like this:
a) I made a frag bucket with stackable frag racks to put the coral in. Will use 1/2 tank water, half new water in it to transport. put coral in here.
b) seperate container for live rock, new water
c) DiY fish container with dividers to keep the fish seperated. Fish in here with remaining tank water and some new water.
d) drain remaining water in tank, maybe a little to cover the live sand. not gonna remove but just move in tank as is.
e) Hope for the best.

Will be bummed for about 1/3rd of a second if i lose any coral/fish so any advice from anyone whos moved a tank!!
Blessed in the fact that its a small tank, so any loss will be minimal to the wallet side of things!

The other dilemma i face is that i move the 29th of sept. and take possession on Oct.2. meaning for those few days, I gotta find a way to either set up temporarily or find someone to to at least house the fish (a small maroon clownfish, a sunrise dottyback and a scooter blenny, hermits, a coral banded shrimp and a mithrax crab.

thank for any thought/advice!!!
Old 09-09-2013, 11:43 PM

MrTreat is on a distinguished road

I moved my 33g from Victoria to Kelowna 3 months ago and I didn't loose a single fish or coral. (total drive/boat time was just over 7 hours!) Here's what I did...

-I used 2 large Rubbermaid containers for the move
-1st one had all the live rock (that didn't have corals attached to it) and about 60% of the tank water
-the 2nd bin had all my corals and fish ...and about 20% of the water. I individually packed my stinging LPS in Tupperware with holes in the lid.
-the remaining 20% I removed and added new when I arrived in Kelowna (water change)
-I bought battery powered air bubble pumps but I only used them on the ferry ride to Vancouver... my driving created enough surface movement for oxygen transfer lol
-I left the sand in the bottom of the tank with enough water to keep it wet and "alive"
-as soon as I got to our new place, I quickly set up the new tank ...everyone is all in the same water, so I didn't need to acclimate or anything. Just a quick aquascape and set up

I thought I would loose something on my 7 hour trip but I didn't
Good luck!!
Old 09-09-2013, 11:45 PM

MrTreat is on a distinguished road

...not too sure about what to do for "over night storage" though lol sorry
Old 09-10-2013, 12:28 AM

Nate is on a distinguished road
Default Tank maintenance

Some of you guys may know I own a maintenance company. I have been using natures ocean pre-bottled saltwater for the three tank moves I did last month during the floods. It was easier, lighter (wasn't moving saltwater), faster, wasn't mixing saltwater.

Sething to think about

Nate