Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: How many tank crashes have you had?
Never had a tank crash 103 58.19%
Had a tank crash once 52 29.38%
Have had two tanks crash or two crashes 10 5.65%
Have had three tanks crash or three crashes 5 2.82%
I stopped counting.... 6 3.39%
I had 1-3 tanks at the time 15 8.47%
I had 4-6 tanks at the time 1 0.56%
I had greater than 6 tanks at the time 1 0.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2010, 04:24 AM

Murminator is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Murminator

Crash due to power failure

I reserve the right to hijack any thread I want to!!

My carbon footprint is bigger than your carbon footprint !!!!
Old 03-16-2010, 04:35 AM

tgoeujon is on a distinguished road

I crashed 3 times in the first year. since then ive learned that you just cant put everything you want in a tank. first time it was way too much livestock in a fairly new tank, second my magnifica anemone got sucked into the pump and poisoned the tank, third i decided to try introducing a long horn cow fish and a sea apple at the same time ( shoulda known better, they both looked sick by the time i got them home ) both died the first night and made for a damn near completely dead tank in the morning. Each of my crashes has been almost complete except one yellow fin fairy wrasse that has survived with me for 5 years now. Looking back im surprised im still here
Old 03-16-2010, 04:39 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

When I 1st started in the hobby and didn't know much of anything I lost almost all the fish I had due to an ich outbreak. However it was due more to my poor unknowledgeable QT skills then it was the ich that killed them. My corals and inverts were fine.

The 2nd one was when my boyfriend added a fish to my tank without my knowledge from a questionable fish store and a marine velvet outbreak occurred. All my corals and inverts were fine however I had to deal with 8 weeks of QT, copper treatment, 50g water changes every other day and after all was said and done I still lost 26 fish (between two 230g tanks) and only 8 survived. That was so far the worst thing that I have experienced in this hobby and I hope I never have to go through anything like that ever again.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:54 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

It is unfortunate but this hobby truly is governed by Murphy's Laws. If it can happen it probably will. The true test and what's important is how well prepared we are when something does happen. If you can catch it early enough or learn from past experience(s) (both your own and others), you'll be ahead of the game.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:23 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

The closest to a tank crash I had was when my breaker blew overnight when both my wife & I were sleeping over at our respective parents' homes. The water became quite cold (probably 68 F or less) and I lost some of my fish. As soon as I reset the breaker, the tank fully recovered. No corals or anemones were lost.

A full tank crash is when most everything dies, by my definition.

This was a partial crash, but only very temporary.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:40 AM

Marlin65 is on a distinguished road

I would have to say none. I did have a nem nuke my tank but I only lost about 5% so i guess that does not count.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:05 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

No crashes......*knocks on glass*
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 03-16-2010, 06:14 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Had a few incidents over the years. Some were equipment failures (GFCI trip in one case, lost a pair of flame angels in the affected tank - they were the only fish in there), and some were livestock reasons and not necessarily "tank crash" but still fit the posted definition (had an extremely large H. magnifica anemone for many years that was capable of killing off an entire tank of fish if it so much as burped. In fact, the reason I sold it after close to a decade of caring for it was that it was just too lethal for my tastes ).
Old 03-16-2010, 12:25 PM

goldie is on a distinguished road

my 3 year old dumped an entire can of fish food in my 33 gallon. I had to do a 90 % water change and all I lost was a starfish and a torch coral. My clown fish were laying on the sand gasping and they bounced back. I couldn't believe how resliant everything was.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:32 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

I voted one crash, but I have to quantify that.. it wasn't realy a crash but rather a heater stuck on overnight in a temp holding tank and cooked my corals and fish, so not realy a crash as the main tank wasn't running if that makes sence?

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.