Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 07-25-2011, 05:06 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Lots of nice corals and some truly gorgeous clams but as we couldn't bring them home it was hard to get too excited about them. The show was pretty good, I was kind of surprised at the drygoods prices, we've got it pretty good here. I didn't see any really good deals but then I wasn't really looking for any big ticket items.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:22 PM
R.I.P.

pinhead is on a distinguished road

I enjoyed it and hope they run it again.

Stopped in on a few talks on Sunday and was also able to see the twin-arc 10000/ 20000 MH bulbs running - anyone using these? I was also given a litre of NPX Pellets by the Two Little Fishes people so I am pretty happy.

If you were able to bring things back with a 48 hour stay, the raffle was a good deal. I didn't see anyone buying tickets so your chances of winning was pretty good. Had quite a few things available like RO/DI units and ballasts.

By late afternoon the frags were almost being given away as the vendors did not want to ship them back. Buy one get one free on most things. 15 polyps of true Red people Eaters for $5 or 6 frags of closed up Zoas for $5. You wouldn't know what you were getting but they had a lot of beautiful stuff. As I was leaving, I even heard negotiations for one whole tank of left over frags at around $100.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:35 PM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

I was there Saturday and quite enjoyed it. I was also surprised that the dry goods didn't seem any cheaper than we can buy them locally. There were some nice corals there, but with a few exceptions didn't see anything I don't have or couldn't have if I wanted locally.

All the free samples were awesome.. One booth tho that I won't name tried to sell me samples for 3$ each.. These were clearly marked samples, so that kinda put me off.

I looked for Paul there, to shake his hand, but didn't see him anywhere. Saw Christy and Gareth which was wicked.

All in all had a great couple of days.. We were #14 standby on the Coho, and whoopee we got on!!

Customs in Victoria was a bitch, I think they had a hard time believing we went all the way to Seattle for one day to just go to an aquarium show.. Obviously they don't understand reefing!
Old 07-25-2011, 08:04 PM

ALang is on a distinguished road

Had a great great time!
We met a few Reefers staying at the Marriott, the drinks were flowing pretty freely, and they pretty loud by the time we left the party. Met and had pics taken with Mark Callahan ,"Mr. SaltwaterTanks", who was also staying there, he was very nice and we had a great time talking extensively with him. Nice people all around.
The show was a bit small, but for the first time around, and only $20-25 admission fee, it wasn't too bad. Hope that next year, more people will attend so they can have a bigger/better show.
Lots of products, dry goods, equipments (Lights predominantly LEDs, skimmers, pumps, power heads) and one even had all the good reef-keeping books for sale. Didn't exactly notice any prices to have a good comparison, but I did bought a Salifert Mag test kit for $26 (Usually ~$50 to order on line).
The guys at the Seachem booth were excellent to talk to, and they loaded us up with several Tee-shirts, lots of food and full-sized products, so we were pretty loaded down and happy.
At the Hydor booth, they gave me two new impellers for the old Hydor 4 power heads that I had trouble finding replacement for, for free!
Lots of corals: zoas, acans, chalices, clams, ricordias, LPSs and SPSs galore. Shame we couldn't take any back, as the prices were good and they were practically giving them away at the end of Sunday.
Had a chance to meet Tparsons and PFoster, both wonderful people to chat with. Wish we had known who was who so we could have had a chance to say hello to all, but maybe next time we can all wear our fishy tee-shirts (that's how most of them found us at the bar) to identify who we are...
The weather was excellent for the 4 days that we were in Seattle. Had a great time going there with sgreen. Pics to follow if Jim has the time... but Big Valley will be this weekend, so maybe not...
Cheers. Lenny.