Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-07-2009, 04:22 AM

Aleks is on a distinguished road
Default odd tank behavior

Here we go again eh.....Seems every week or two I post something like this......In the last couple days some of my Zoas, and all of my GSP have not been opening at all....The mushrooms are huge and full, and the other 80% of the Zoas are fine.....The first 2 days of this my kenya tree didn't open either at all, but its now better......I also have a fair amount of intrusive Cyano on the sand, and some on the rocks.....I'm blowing it off daily with a baster

Tested water, everything (haha except Mg and PO4, cause I still can't test them) was perfect.....No changes in Ph, temp or anything, its been rock solid.....Feedings every 3rd day, was Mysis thawed and strained for a while, decided to change to Spectrum Thera +A pellets to see if the problem would change or go away.....

Still skimming, still running Chemi Pure elite, and Cheato in a fuge (grows like mad), RO/DI is in check. Yesterday did a 30% change, to see if that would help, and vacuum the sand.....In 1 day the cyano is back and no change to any of the livestock......

Things I've noticed:
hermit crabs are hiding or gone? Stomatella snails, MIA..... Mexican turbos are still around but not very useful (haven't been for weeeeks), new small baby snail with a shell rocks though...Shrimps are great, and clown is looking healthy.....

No additions to tanks in weeks, and even then all I added were super healthy Zoas from RC that were amazing until the weekend.....

Is this a phase?? Is this a P04 issue? Should I be bubbling air in the tank to keep up the 02 content that the cyano maybe choking? I'm doing some google research too but figure most of you are the experts in experience I will also be testing P04 tomorrow.......and maybe considering some Redox....lol

Last edited by Aleks; 07-07-2009 at 04:33 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:34 AM

bignose is on a distinguished road

You and me both, my tank has the same problem word for word. You could try to use red slime remover.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:37 AM

skylord is on a distinguished road

PO4. If your nitrates are low to 0 then it has to be PO4. Cheato likes high phosphates. Red slim remover if you must but follow the instructions very closely. Phosbuster works very well if you can get some, to reduce the high phosphates to much lower levels, then rowa and a phosban reactor to manage the lower levels.

When you get your test kit take your water sample from a very low flow area, like a cave and the results will be much closer to reality.

Good luck. It can be a very frustrating battle and about the time your ready to give up it will go away.

Scott