Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 09-29-2008, 08:14 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road
Angry Buyer beware (Canadian Tire)

Had a power shortage Saturday night. I have 2x400Watt battery backups to run heaters and pumps. After 3 hours, the batteries began to run down. Luckily, the neighbour had power so I ran an extension cord from his house.
So Sunday I went to Canadian Tire to buy a gas generator. Brought it home, added oil, filled the gas tank and fired it up. It ran for about 30 seconds, sputtered and died. Would not start again. Took it back to Canadian Tire today to return it. I was told they do not have a return policy on gas generators and that it would have to be sent back to the company for repair. I told them that was unacceptable and I needed a generator now and can't wait 4 weeks for repair. Their policy is that the minute you put gas in it, it becomes a used item and I may even be charged a repair fee. (Can you freakin' believe this?) How can it be used: You have to put gas in the thing to run it. After arguing with them over it they have decided to take it to their shop and see if they can get it running. If not, it will be sent away for repair.
As it sits right now I am contacting the head office and challenging their return policy. Nowhere on the sales receipt or on the packaging does it state that this product cannot be returned for refund. I am also contacting Master Card. Has anybody else run into this problem with C.T.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:57 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

not right but think they're still stinging from the big Y2K scare and the lines of people doing returns Jan2.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:40 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

That sucks but I can see the reasoning for the policy since I'm sure many people would take advantage if it was not in place. Buy one use it until power is back and then return. It's also a problem as once gas in poured in you can't resell it as new. I'm sure the policy is in place for all gas powered items.

Sorry to say I don't think you'll win, it is not a requirement to state store policies on receipts or packages. What you may be able to do is take the generator to a small engine repair shop and have CT pick up the bill, that's probably the best case if they can't fix it at the CT shop.

The best advice may be to stay calm and speak professionally to head office, bitching, complaining, threatening and swearing will get you no where, they have plenty of customers and will not go out of their way to help someone they don't want to deal with.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
That sucks but I can see the reasoning for the policy since I'm sure many people would take advantage if it was not in place. Buy one use it until power is back and then return. It's also a problem as once gas in poured in you can't resell it as new. I'm sure the policy is in place for all gas powered items.

Sorry to say I don't think you'll win, it is not a requirement to state store policies on receipts or packages. What you may be able to do is take the generator to a small engine repair shop and have CT pick up the bill, that's probably the best case if they can't fix it at the CT shop.

The best advice may be to stay calm and speak professionally to head office, bitching, complaining, threatening and swearing will get you no where, they have plenty of customers and will not go out of their way to help someone they don't want to deal with.

Oh, I did remain calm. Threatening and swearing, as you state, doesn't work.
You're right, this policy is for all gas powered items at C.T.
I spoke to the store manager and told him Sears and other local vendors replace or repair faulty gas-powered items; and if C.T. won't, they should inform their customers of this. He then agreed to try and repair the generator in their own shop. If they can repair it to my satisfaction I'm happy with that: If not I want my money back.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:09 AM

levi1803 is on a distinguished road

Would they not even just exchange it for a new one of the same kind? I can see their policy not to return it, but not exchanging it for one that works just seems odd to me.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:40 AM

skylord is on a distinguished road

Its not just gas.....I bought an electric air compressor....same thing. It ran for about 30 seconds and quit. I took it back to the CrappyTire store and they told me I would have to ship it back to the supplier (Texas..)at my cost AND I would have to pay for the return freight. They figured it would cost me about the same as buying another unit.

Since I didn't have a warranty I torn it down and figured out what the problem was.

And the nail gun that was included with the compressor.... lasted for 15 nails.

I don't buy near as much from them as I used too. But when I am in there I warn people that they need to ask about the return policy when I walk by....even if they are with a sales person.

Scott
Old 09-30-2008, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by levi1803 View Post
Would they not even just exchange it for a new one of the same kind? I can see their policy not to return it, but not exchanging it for one that works just seems odd to me.

Nope. Three more boxes on the shelf. No exchanges allowed.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylord View Post
Its not just gas.....I bought an electric air compressor....same thing. It ran for about 30 seconds and quit. I took it back to the CrappyTire store and they told me I would have to ship it back to the supplier (Texas..)at my cost AND I would have to pay for the return freight. They figured it would cost me about the same as buying another unit.

Since I didn't have a warranty I torn it down and figured out what the problem was.

And the nail gun that was included with the compressor.... lasted for 15 nails.

I don't buy near as much from them as I used too. But when I am in there I warn people that they need to ask about the return policy when I walk by....even if they are with a sales person.

Scott

Yeah, that's the way their return policy works. I did some research on them and found several sites of customer complaints against them. Many, many unhappy people. So if you do buy from C.T, I urge you to ask about the return policy on the item you want to buy.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:45 PM

Well, everything worked out well in the end. C.T. was able to repair the unit. Apparently something with the carb. They tore it apart and now it runs well.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:49 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

good to hear