Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Old 06-26-2008, 08:51 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Thanks But I was still sorta hoping to see ones in people's tanks. Looking at US retailer sites just pours salt into the wound because this fish is available on a weekly basis down there. You can sort of tell by the price even ($40) that this shouldn't be a particularly rare or hard to find fish.

Seems silly to consider ordering an otherwise commonplace fish from the U.S. but it seems that is the only way it would ever happen. There's just something about our supply chain here I guess. Maybe it's a fairly localized area this fish comes from? And our wholesalers just don't have working relationships with any of the exporters from that area... I'm just guessing. But there has to be an explanation .. I've been looking for this fish for, well, literally, YEARS now. You'd think one of our retailers would have seen one in this time!

Last edited by Delphinus; 06-26-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Banned

exentity is on a distinguished road

Wow, I didn't realize this was such a rare fish. I think I might have just gotten one since it is a doliatus. Shy guy so far, won't really let me get a good look at him. He just swims into the rocks when I walk to my tank but I know he swims around when i am not close by because I see him out as I am walking over. Oh well, maybe its just a "first few days" kind of thing, and it will be less shy after a week or so.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:42 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

It's not really a rare fish. It's just that I've asked several retailers to watch out for one but I think they either forget, or just don't care. I can sort of understand, if it's only a $40 fish why should they spend hours trying to track one down..

Some retailers I've spoken to, well, either there's a language barrier or they just don't care enough about what the fish really is, for it to be a meaningful conversation. For example one store I asked said "Yes, of course we can get you a foxface." .. "Yeah, see. um .. the thing is .. it's not a foxface? It's a penciled rabbitfish." "Ya ya ya! Foxface!"

Please try to snap a picture of yours if you can. Would love to see him
Old 06-26-2008, 09:50 PM

Chowder is on a distinguished road

Hey Tony I believe I saw two a couple weeks ago at J&L . Didnt take a close look but at a glance they had more lines then my S Virgatus.
Chris
Old 06-27-2008, 05:04 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Ocean Aquatics says on their website there is no problem getting one?
Old 06-27-2008, 05:10 AM

I've asked Wendell too... several times. I've come to the conclusion that it's basically pointless to ask anyone to look out for one .. nothing ever comes of it ... and only just ask if they are in stock at the moment.

Nobody has any in their tank to take pictures of?
Old 06-27-2008, 05:48 AM
Vendor

Red Coral Aquariums is on a distinguished road

My only options are for a Siganus virgatus I could bring a couple of these in hoping that they are actually a doliatus.
Kevin
Old 06-27-2008, 06:03 AM

Thanks Kev - we can talk next time I'm by.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:21 AM

Diana is on a distinguished road

Hey Tony... I did put you on the livestock waitlist at J&L for one. The waitlist is a new thing... since before it was just kinda like: "whoever can remember whats his face that wanted the so and so". But now we have a running list of all livestock people are waiting for, and we actually check the list after every shipment!

I asked Rene if she ever sees the doliatus on order lists, and she says rarely. I will ask her about trying to bring one in if she sees it. I did have a real good look at the virgatus J&L has in right now... but they are pretty small and its hard to tell. The lines on their sides look pretty broken though.

I hope this makes you feel a bit better!

-Diana

Old 06-29-2008, 12:00 AM

skylord is on a distinguished road

Just for Tony......

She is about 3 1/2 and maybe 8 inches or so. Maybe its a he....dont know!

Scott