Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-19-2008, 03:48 AM

rocketlily is on a distinguished road
Default Fragging a Duncanopsammia axifuga updated with pics Jan 3-09

My Duncanopsammia Axifugia (Whisker Coral) fell onto an Acropora colony in my tank today and the acro seems to have won the battle with the Whisker Coral losing 30 some heads. I think I'm going to have to do some fragging of the Whisker Coral to clean it up. Does anyone have instructions, pictures or links on how to do this?

Last edited by rocketlily; 01-04-2009 at 05:29 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:40 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

it isn't particularly hard to do. get a dremel with a carbide cut-off wheel or multi purpose bit (anything that will cut through skeleton cleanly); a fine hacksaw will do too i think. if you can just cut off a branch that would be best, but if yours grows like the typical mound like most read on.

1)make the colony close up completely
2) remove from tank (it will slime a lot) and think about where you're going to cut
3)have at it and try to get as clean a cut as possible. this is obviously the most important part
4) super glue the skeleton to a plug or something. finito

try to keep each frag to at least a full polyp; i suspect half polyps might actually be fine though.

Acros aren't warriors and duncans can be drama queens, but they are very hardy corals. no guarantee, but if it's just closed up, it might actually recover without fragging. I would give it a day or to to see if it gets worse; if it does, then chop out the bad bits. is the tissue actually receded and dead?

here's some fragging pics (not mine). scroll down about three quarters. title: "Duncan frag time...":
http://blogs.frags.org/member.php?uid=4043
Old 12-19-2008, 04:40 AM

Drock169 is on a distinguished road

I just use coral clippers on a dead skeleton, or a diamond blade on a live skeleton
Old 12-19-2008, 05:08 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure you get the Super Glue GEL...not regular super glue. I used the regular stuff for a long time and then finally tried the gel and was like what the-- have I been missing...

Now I just want to superglue all kinds of stuff, not just frags. I superglue GEL'd a button back onto a chair today. I fragged a digi last night just to get to superglue GEL it to different rocks. Superglue GELing monti's is especially fun I find. You get to use a lot

I love the GEL. I don't even look at regular superglue anymore when I go to Home Depot.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:18 AM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

I would frag your duncan don't take any chances even if you come out with 1 head it will be a colony in a year. I lost mine after growing it from 1 head to five it fell got stung and within 3 days it was bare boned unfortunately the heads were all connected. I aquired a half decent head and fed the shi% out of it for 6 months it's easily 15+ heads now.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 12-21-2008, 07:27 PM

Here's some pictures of the 2 corals that had a battle earlier this week.

This is one of the Acro that inflicted the damage and suffered no damage:

And here's the one who suffered the damage. It's not extended right now, as the lights just came on. All of the empty heads are the ones that died. I've been feeding it daily with Mysis to try and keep it healthy. I think I'll leave it a few weeks before trying to clean it up.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:44 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Your Duncan coral looks like it will survive just fine. i would do as you already are, just feed it well for a couple weeks, and reassess damage then. If it recedes a lot more though, then I would move in and remove all the dead tissues.

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:49 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlily View Post
Here's some pictures of the 2 corals that had a battle earlier this week.

This is one of the Acro that inflicted the damage and suffered no damage:

Just for the record that isn't an acro it's a hydnophora and I'd be careful what you put next to it, they can be very aggressive

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 12-21-2008, 08:06 PM

Thank you Marie.

It was my first SPS coral purchase and sold to me as a Staghorn Acro. I always thought something wasn't quite right about it. Never posted any pictures of it before as I thought I must be doing something wrong for it to be extended so long all the time.

In the new tank, I've placed it all by itself. Should be able to keep it out of trouble for awhile. At night with only the Actinics on it does turn a beautiful flourescant green.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:01 PM

noirsphynx is on a distinguished road

Did you end up fragging the duncan? I often wondered how difficult that would be. If you happen to frag it and feel like fragging even a single head as an extra ::hint, hint:: I'd buy one from you