Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 04-30-2010, 01:59 AM

Flash is on a distinguished road
Default Pet Insurance???

I was wondering if any of you have a recommendation for a pet insurance company?

I just had a major incident with my puppy, and I want to make sure I am covered from now. I have googled non-stop.. but i wanted to see if maybe anyone else actually has pet insurance before I made a decision.

Thank you all in advance

Lyndsy
Old 04-30-2010, 02:02 AM

Ephraim is on a distinguished road

I have petsecure, never had to make a claim yet though so i dont have much feedback.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:12 AM

JenniferL is on a distinguished road

I work in a vet clinic and the majority that we see or deal with is Petsecure. I have never heard anything bad about it from our clients. It all depends on which package you choose and how much coverage you want. As with most companies though they don't cover any pre existing conditions.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:19 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

My wife has looked into it and it is very very very expensive. The premium's are so high and the chance of every really needing it did not justify the premium's. You pay these HIGH premiums all year and if you don't use it, money down the drain. Also there are to many thing's like breed & age of dog, previous health issues that determine if you can even get covered. Not all plan's cover every thing and most have a high deductible that you have to pay every time you use it.

We have always have several dog's and ATM have 11 four legged family member's with the new puppies, so we have really investigated this issue with the help of our vet's.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 04-30-2010, 02:21 AM

Flash is on a distinguished road

won't need it for pre exsisting, unless he decides to eat another blanket...(don't worry we learnt the hard way)... it's for the next thing that could happen i am looking for! I have a very hefty vet bill and want to try and prevent another one.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:16 AM

ALBERTA REEF is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ALBERTA REEF

I suggest getting pet insurance. When I bought my golden retriever Tobias 6 years ago as a pup. I had the option to buy pet insurance. I opted not too. Nine months late he got hit by a car broke his rear leg. Took him to the 24 hour media vet. Around $2000.00 for them to look at his leg. Put him down or $2500 to pin his leg. So I fixed him up. Two months ago he was not eating. took him to the vet and found that he had a bad case of Cancer causing liver failure. Nothing I could do. I had to put him down. All that testing, putting him down and cremation around $700. Vet bill are not cheap. Insurance is like gambling. You might not need it but when you do it is there.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:00 AM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

I've had it for my pets, and I worked at a Veterinary Hospital for 21 years. If more people had insurance, less animals would suffer and die because they couldn't afford to fix their animal. I know paying $ a month rather than a hefty sum all at once convinced me.

It's the same sort of thing for your house, you may never need the insurance you have on your house but if something happens, would you rather be covered or are you able to cover it from your savings???

Some of the insurance plans help with routine pet care, like dental cleanings, vaccinations, flea medications, and many other things...so you pay your premium monthly, they help with some routine care, and you NEVER EVER have to consider euthanasia when your pet is hurt, or ill...you just say yes to whatever is recommended.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:25 AM

Sebae again is on a distinguished road

We have Petsecure and it has worked out well. I agree with Sarah's comments and it is easier to deal with small payments than one large bill. Look at how much we spend on our tanks without even blinking an eye.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:14 PM

kevNnic is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about your pouch. For the most parts vets can really hose people. espically when most people dont have a clue about what could be causing the issues with their pets. I have a couple of my own and they are quite costly. but i take my chances without insurance.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:06 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I have looked into pet insurance a few times, and I also thought it was rather pricey. It's like car insurance...rarely worthwhile (but we have to). Sorry I can't help you choose a company, but I do have an alternative idea that may work for you. Instead of having pet insurance I always keep myself financially prepared for the worst. I call it my Pet Emergency Account. In January I nearly drained that account when my senior dog became ill. I was thankful that account existed as I didn't have to deal with the added stress of how to pay for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaloupa View Post
and you NEVER EVER have to consider euthanasia when your pet is hurt, or ill...you just say yes to whatever is recommended.
This scares me sometimes when people put their pets through a battery of invasive tests or surgeries when the most humane thing sometimes is to euthanize. Especially with older pets when the family/person isn't ready to let go. I personally know of a few cases where vets have blatantly taken advantage of pet insurance when there was no hope for the animal. Of course finding a good vet is extremely important!

SPS fanatic.