Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-26-2012, 02:09 AM

cuz is on a distinguished road
Default Cuz's 605g system

So with the new tank coming in a little over a weeks time I thought I'd start my new build thread!! ;D

I've spent a ton of time trying to come up with the smoothest way for everything to happen but really would like to bounce my ideas off everyone just incase we can come up with something better!!
The new tanks is going to be:
-96"Lx40"Dx30"H just barely over 470G
-Starfire front
-one 3ft external overflow with 4-2' holes
-eurobraced
-2 - 1" holes drilled 1ft from corners of euro bracing for returns
-3/4' glass all around

I'll be re-using my current 135g sump, so once you add everything together the entire system will sit at 605G 8-)..
Old 03-26-2012, 02:09 AM

couple changes off hand that i want to make on the new system:

-easier water changes
-more efficient lighting
-seperate frag tank (I want the sump strictly for filtration and such)
-switch salt brands
-and a dedicated fish room
Old 03-26-2012, 02:10 AM

1st and probibly toughest problem... getting the damn thing into the house and up onto the stand!!!
The only way it will fit through the doorway is with the front starphire facing down!! booo!! My plan so far is to tip it face down onto a piece of foam (similar to what goes under a tank) then the foam on top of a piece of plywood cut to size. I was thinking if i had 2x4's on end boardering the tank screwed to the plywood/foam it would hold the tank in place on it for the ride down the stairs??
sound do-able?

the tank needs to go through the door and straight down the stairs, from there its only a couple feet to the right and that where it'll sit. I was thinking if I nailed a few pre cut 2x4's to the stairs they would help everything slide down the stairs with minimal lifting by everyone. I remember the last 4 steps of the last time we moved the 300 and they were probibly the roughest part, hopefully the 2x4's eliminate this.

thoughts on my master plan??? lol
Old 03-26-2012, 02:10 AM

So far in regards to changing salt brands I've been slowley changing it out over the last month. I just didn't see the value in a $100 pail of salt, maybe I'll notice something and go back but for now I kind of like the $40/pail for IO.
I've been changing 5g a day for the past 3 weeks and the last week has been 10g/day. I've seen no difference yet other than really clean water from all the changes!!
I've had to dial back my dosing due to the daily water changes and IO mixing at a higher Alk but every thing seems fine. If i figure everything right by the time I move tanks I'll have added around 450g of new IO mixed water to my current tank and I should be fine filling the new one with just IO salt.
I'm wondering if I should slowly phase my doser out temporarily just to ensure the water from both tanks is as similar as possible for the move??
I'd rather **** off 2-3 pieces from lack of dosing vs chancing ****ing everything off due to different water!!
Old 03-26-2012, 02:11 AM

I got a little ambition this afternoon and headed to Home depot for the lumber for the new stand.
I pieced everything together for a rough fit so it can all be taken apart in order to fit into the house.

I'm leaving the ledge on the backside (might have to brace it to support my ass!!) Hopefully i can use it to help reach stuff if needed. I plan on drilling a few holes in the middle of it for return and drain plumbing from the overflow once I know where everything lines up..the plywood against the wall will be on the bottom of the stand.

And here's my afternoons work diss-assembled ready to be moved...

Old 03-26-2012, 02:23 AM

Casey8 is on a distinguished road

WOW 470G ... Can't wait to see what kind of fish you are going to put in there. I only have a chance to see untamed's 500G tank in his Burnaby house one time, and loved it !
Old 03-27-2012, 02:51 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

dude!......didnt you just upgrade like a year ago?.......I heard the gossip about this tank around the water trough......sound like a beast.....should be some cool new digs for that whateveryoucallit tang!
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 03-27-2012, 03:25 AM

Madmak is on a distinguished road

Sounds cool!

What ideas do you have on water changes? I'm looking to set up a way to make them really easy as well.

A 40 or 50G mixing tank would work fine for me. It also needs to be remote in another room. Im thinking a ball valve on my closed loop manifold through a meter to a drain. Then a transfer pump from the mixing tank back to the DT. RODI feeds the mixing tank and the sump float.

I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
dude!......didnt you just upgrade like a year ago?.......I heard the gossip about this tank around the water trough......sound like a beast.....should be some cool new digs for that whateveryoucallit tang!
Lol ya the 300 is almost a year and a half old now!
Funny thing is it wasn't my idea!! The Mrs. wanted to buy a new house and baited me with a new tank!! I'm sure you can relate!! hahaha
Old 03-27-2012, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmak View Post
Sounds cool!

What ideas do you have on water changes? I'm looking to set up a way to make them really easy as well.

A 40 or 50G mixing tank would work fine for me. It also needs to be remote in another room. Im thinking a ball valve on my closed loop manifold through a meter to a drain. Then a transfer pump from the mixing tank back to the DT. RODI feeds the mixing tank and the sump float.

I'll keep an eye on this thread.
something very similar, I'd like 2-100g drums, One for Ro/Di the other for mixing under it. (gravity fed as needed) then pumed from the mixed barrel to the sump as needed.
Ideally I'd like larger just in case but realistically don't think it'll happed. Having 100g mixed ready to go isn't even a 20% WC!!